Pages

Tuesday, 20 March 2012

The Daily Teaser - 20-3-2012

Hmmmm …

You know, I’ve GOT to admit, I THINK I’m going to be having a VERY long day, somehow.

I’ve some leaflets to deliver: I’m officially giving Karen a hand, in trying to win this years council by-election.

Or, and head out to do a little shopping.

Oh, and that reminds me, I’ve MORE photos to scan in: not including the one I’ve posted of Jude, at the family Mother’s Day meal, on Saturday*

I think he managed to confuse the waitress, I know that.

And DEFINITELY didn’t like the chocolate cake!

And on top of that … ?

I’ve got to do a bit of job hunting.

Which …

Well, you can probably guess how well it’s going, when I tell you I’m still at it.

Hmmm …

You know, I think having a word with my GP might be an idea: I THINK slowly being driven bonkers by boredom isn’t necessarily a good think.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Before I go rabid at you … !

‹‹•››

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi putting in her answers: and, along with the admitting she wouldn’t mind see that photo of Judeº, also bagged 6 out of 6.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video
Q1) 20th March, 2012, is this year’s Spring Equinox: from which language does the word equinox come … ?

Q2) More to the point, what’s the term — again, derived from Latin — for a Spring equinox?

Q3) 20th March, 1616, saw who released from the Tower of London … ?

Q4) 20th March, 1950, saw the US Senate ratify a peace treaty with which country … ?

Q5) 20th March, 1974, saw a kidnap attempt launched at which member of the Royal Family … ?

Q6) March 20th, 1813, saw the birth of author, Ned Buntline: which gun company — allegedly — made him a custom version of one of their revolvers … ?

Q7) And finally … 20th March, 1914, saw New Haven, Connecticut, play host to the first world championships in which sport … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th March, 1649, saw the House of Commons try to abolish what … ?
A1) The House of Lords. (363 years later … )

Q2) 19th March, 1931, saw Gambling legalized in which US State … ?
A2) Nevada. (Which, along with its generous tax laws, legalized brothels, and easy divorces, also has the USA’s harshest laws on drugs. And laxest Smoking bans … )

Q3) 19th March, 1970, saw the meeting of Willy Brandt and Willi Stoph, the leaders or East and West Germany. Which of them was the West German leader … ?
A3) Willy Brandt.

Q4) More to the point, in which of the Germanys did they met … ?
A4) East Germany: the town of Erfurt, to be precise.

Q5) 19th March, 1982, saw the event that started the Falklands War, when a group of Argentinians land on which of the Falklands … ?
A5) South Georgia.

Q6) And finally … 19th March, 1979, saw which US body begin broadcasting on C-SPAN … ?
A6) The House Of Representatives.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’m thinking I’ll leave you with two videos, today.

As it’s Scratch Perry’s birthday, here’s his own remake of The Upsetter.
And here’s a quick tune from Jean Michel Jarre.

That’s sort of appropriate to the day …









* It was cheaper, believe it or not, despite being Saint Patrick’s Day. I’m sort of grateful we went Italian … … … !

º Debbi, did I tell you he’s started to say “Ta” whenever you hand him something … ? Oh, and I swear he said “Daisy,” the other day … !!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Awww ... that's awesome about Jude. :)

    Good luck with Karen's campaign! And your job hunt. :)

    1. Latin
    2. vernal equinox
    3. Sir Walter Raleigh
    4. Japan (however, according to this, the year was 1952: http://www.brainyhistory.com/days/march_20.html)
    5. Princess Anne
    6. Colt
    7. figure skating

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.