Pages

Tuesday, 22 October 2013

The Daily Teaser — 22-10-2013

You know, I’ve got Radio 4’s Today programme on: I usually do, if I’ve not actually got a documentary on.

They’ve just had a piece on, about how a musician has created a soundscape: for the UK war graves in Ypres.

The sort of thing designed to get you feeling thoughtful, if you’re there.

I wouldn’t mind going there, actually.   I know my — let me work this out, now — great-grandfather is buried there.

In one of the graves marked ‘An Unknown Soldier’, I should add.

That’s … 

Well, one heck of a personal connection … and one fate — or something — seems to have designed to make one mournful.

Hmmm … 

Let’s move on: before I start badly reciting war-poetry.

~≈œ≈~

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: along with letting us known she’s recommended Neuromancer on Pinterest, also bagging five out of five.

Let’s see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To,’ License and video … 

Q1) 22nd October, 1966, saw The Supremes become the first girl band to have a US № 1 album to their name.   What was the name of the album … ?
Q2) 22nd October, 1983, saw the CND hold their largest ever protest march: what does CND stand for … ?
Q3) 22nd October, 1978, saw the second Papal inauguration of the year.   Who was enthroned as Pope?
Q4) More to the point, whose was the first … ?
Q5) 22nd October, 1966, saw double agent George Blake, escape from prison.   Which prison had he been held in … ?
Q6) Finally … 22nd October, 1859, saw Spain declare war on which North African country … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 21st October is — apparently — Apple Day, here in the UK.   In which year of the 1990s was it first celebrated … ?
A1) 1990.   (Apparently, the first was held in Covent Garden.   My cynical side prompts me to ask if it’s also Mug-A-Tourist-With-Fruit-Day)
Q2) 21st October, 1929, saw the birth of writer, Ursula K. LeGuin.   Who’s the central character in her best known novel, A Wizard Of Earthsea … ?
A2) Ged: also called Duny, and Sparrowhawk.
Q3) 21st October, 1854, saw who — with a staff of thirty-eight — sent to the Crimean front … ?
Q4) 21st October, 1910, saw the HMS Niobe arrive in Halifax, Nova Scotia: and named as the first ship of which navy … ?
Q5) Finally … 21st October, 1895, saw the Republic of Formosa collapse: after being invaded by whom … ?
A5) Japan.
Enjoy those.

I’ll leave you with this thought from Bobby Seale …
“All I did in Chicago was to exercise my legal right to speak on my own behalf and I was given four years in jail as a result. But I think the most serious injustice perpetrated by the court system in America is the inability of a black man to get a jury of his peers.”
Black Panther co-founder, Bobby Seale, born October 22, 1936
And this tune … 


Have a good day.











*        Nice to know, Debbi: glad to hear you enjoyed it … ! :D (Did I tell you William Gibson’s a left-handed Mac fan … ?   Can’t think where you’d find many of them … )

1 comment:

  1. That's a rare combination.

    1. Where Did Our Love Go
    2. Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament
    3. John Paul II
    4. John Paul I
    5. Wormwood Scrubs
    6. Morocco

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.