Pages

Sunday, 6 March 2016

Dad’s Army — Don’t Panic … !

6th March, 2016.

You know, it’s been the weekend of my birthday: Friday, just gone, so you know.

AND Mother’s Day.

Which means that … 

Well … 

It’s been rather long.

And … ?

Well, Friday definitely saw a shirt with just a bit too much gorgonzola dip.

And today … ?

Well, today saw a staff meeting, this morning: I came in third in the staff competition, winning a small prize in the process.

And, this afternoons, in a sort of joint celebration of Mother’s Day, AND my birthday … ?

Me and my family … ?

With the mild sense of irony my family tends to occasionally exhibit, my family and I went to see Dad’s Army … 

~≈Á≈~

Set in 1944 — after the original series would’ve finished — Dad’s Army tells us the tale of the Walmington-on-Sea platoon of the Home Guard: who, when we met them are are doing the important job only they are capable of.

Chasing a bull, across a field.

It’s only when  in the middle of their next assignment?   That a glamourous journalist turns up: almost knocking over one of the troop in the process.

It’s only AFTER this … ?

The platoon get’s orders to patrol a base in Dover: in preparation for a big push in France that’s due up, soon.

This is Walmington.

As those of us familiar with the original series will tell you … ?

Something’s going to get stuck up a flag-pole … 

~≈Á≈~

Now … 

Good … ?

Hmmm … 

I don’t know if — in all honesty — I could tell you that Dad’s Army is a good film.

I’m fairly certain it’s not going to win any Oscars.   It ISN’T going to go down as a major comedy, life-changing event, or big house production.

But, on the upside … ?

Dad’s Army IS a good, entertaining film: as gentle, and as funny, a comedy as the original series and one that treats it’s source material well.

AND has a solid plot, writing and cast …

Don’t expect wonders.

Do expect Dad’s Army.

And a wonderfully done take on the series.
Dad’s Army.
★★☆☆


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.