Pages

Thursday, 7 November 2019

Edge of Darkness — Episode 4: Breakthrough A Review

7th November, 2019.


Yes: I’ve been officially baby sitting my nephew, Jude, tonight.

Believe it or not … ?

We’ve been eating pizza: and watching the assorted Youtube adventures of a gamer called Mr Crainer.


Along side Slogoman and Jelly.

Frankly?

There were a lot of electronic cows involved.


Oh, and exploding cows, chickens, pigs and sheep.

It has to said, it’s one of the few times where I’ve had a deeply passionate conversation about whether that’s an exploding TNT cow, or an exploding TNT sheep.

It was a sheep, so you know.

The thing got sheared.

Look, it makes sense, when you’re eight … and convinced your uncle’s missing the important stuff*.

At any rate, after Jude went home?

I got the TV set to myself.

I fancied something with a distinct lack of electronic animals.

And, given that I’ve been watching Edge of Darkness?

The fourth episode seemed appropriate.

~≈^≈~


Episode 4 — Breakthrough — opens with Craven (Bob Peck) heading back home after a stay in a psychiatric hospital.

Coming home not to a warm fire … but to the enraged McCroon (Sean Caffrey): the man who murdered Emma (Joanne Whalley), Craven’s daughter.

Unfortunately?

McCroon is shot by a police marksman: just on the point of confessing some serious information.

Leading Craven … ?   To co-opt an old friend into sneaking Craven into MI5’s HQ: to the one terminal that has information on Northmoor, its activities, McCroon’s role in it … 

And a map of the waste facilities that Emma Craven had broken into … and ultimately been killed for raiding.

You know, some people wouldn’t be that concerned about that map.

Craven† isn’t ‘some people …’

~≈^≈~

Now … what did I think of Breakthrough … ?

Yep: it’s another fantastic episode.

We have hints that Craven’s job in Northern Ireland was nastier than we though.

McCroon, it seems, is one of a handful of informants Craven trained: who were then abandoned by the their handlers when Craven left the job to tend to his ill wife, Anne.

There’s action: breaking into MI5 to get to one specific terminal, to get information out.   I can’t help but compare that to the most recent episode‡ of Mr Robot I’ve seen.   The action is as high, even though the technology is incredibly different.

Breakthrough^?

Is engaging stuff: engaging … and heading for a show down … 








*        One of these days I’m going to convince Jude that watching a movie will be a good idea: he really didn’t fancy the idea of Detective Pokémon Pikachu or Spiderman: Far From Home.   Any VOD suggestions would be gratefully received.

†        Just as a thought?   Breakthrough features Joe Don Baker as Darius Jedburgh: the CIA man help Craven, and whom Craven asks for help, at the end of the episode.   I’m a Terry Pratchett fan: you knew that, yes?   I’m also a Terry Pratchett fan that thinks Joe Don would be perfect as Mustrum Ridcully!

‡        If I’ve understood things correctly?   Craven breaks into the MI5 HQ to get to one specific terminal: the only one that has a copy of the information that’s needed.   In 405 Method Not Allowed, Elliot and Darlene break into a company’s server farm, in order to establish a systems administrator account: so that they can ‘legitimately’ access the server, remotely, later.   The way I’ve understood the differences in technology?   Back in the 1980s, local computer networks — like the MI5 one in this episode — couldn’t be easily accessed from the internet, or any external network.

^        Just as one last thought … ?   The unpixeliated extra in this shot: of a nameless police diver?   Is in fact, Mat Irvine, Dr Who’s visual effects man for many years.   And they say Clive Barker’s a Renaissance Man!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.