Pages

Tuesday, 15 March 2011

The Daily Teaser …

Bleugh … !

Remember, yesterday, that I said I hated getting up late … ?

Well …

I actually got woken up by my alarm clock, today.

And feel bloomin’ horrible.

On top of that … ?

I’ve just uploaded the video for today’s teaser: and found out that the soundtrack’s been disabled by the copyright holders!

First time that’s happened: the last time something like that happen, the owners inserted a link that let folk watching it buy the song!

It was Ry Cooder’s version of Robert Johnson’s Crossroads Blues, so you know: it is his birthday, after all.

Here …


Great version, I think.

Mind you, can I be honest … ? When I heard the Johnson original of both it, and Sweet Home Chicago … ?

The hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I’ve got a ponytail. It’s quite an effect …

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets … !

»»•««

Yesterday’s* Teaser saw Mr Strict and Debbi putting in their answers: and also saw both scoring 5 out of 5.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 15th March, 1917, saw the abdication of Tsar Nicholas 2nd, as Tsar of All the Russias: who did he abdicate in favour of … ?

Q2) 15th March, 1990, saw Observer journalist Farzad Bazoft executed for spying: in which country?

Q3) 15th March, 1820, saw which state become the 23rd state of the USA … ?

Q4) 15th March, 1672, saw Charles 2nd issue the Royal Declaration of Indulgence. Charles 2nd intended to promote what: religious tolerance for protestant non-conformists, religious tolerance for Roman Catholics, or religious tolerance for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster … ?

Q5) And finally … 15th March, 1974, saw which architect jailed on corruption charges … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) According to Larry Shaw of the San Francisco Exploratorium, 14th March is what … ?
A1) Pi Day: or 3/14 in US date format. (It can also be celebrated on 22nd July, as Pi Approximation Day, as the fraction 22⁄7 is a closer approximation than 3.14. One can also celebrate Pi Minutes and seconds, but that’s getting a bit too sad, isn’t it … ?)

Q2) 14th March, 1794, saw Eli Whitney patent which industrial device … ?
Q2) The cotton gin, used to separate cotton fibre from cotton seed.

Q3) 14th March, 1978, saw the Israeli Defense Force occupy the southern parts of which country … ?
A3) Lebanon.

Q4) In Ancient Rome, 14th March was the Second Equirria, a holy day in celebration of which Roman God … ?
A4) Mars.

Q5) And finally … 14th March, 1941, saw the birth of film director, Wolfgang Petersen: which of his World War 2 movies received two Oscar nominations … ?
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …





* And, yes, Debbi, the day before’s 2nd question was, wasn’t it … ? That — and asking how many languages are native to the British Isles — tends to get howls of protests, in a live pub quiz … !


1 comment:

  1. 1. his brother, Michael or Mikhail Alexandrovich - There! How's that? :)
    2. Iraq
    3. Maine
    4. religious tolerance for Protestant non-conformists
    5. John Poulson

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.