Pages

Monday, 13 June 2011

The Daily Teaser: 13-6-11

Hmmm …

You know, I’ve GOT to admit, I’ve got the BBC’s News channel on, at the moment.

They’ve got had a brief article on, about a big meeting due to be held in London, that’s calling for more money to help the various shades of immunisation campaigns in Africa.

No bad thing, I know.

Especially to someone who grew up during the 1980s, and saw the incredible things Bob Geldof achieved, in organising Band Aid and Live Aid and their various spin-offs.

On the other hand … ?

Bill Gates is involved with this one.

And I’ve GOT to admit, that’s made me incredibly suspicious.

How are you with U2, just out of interest … ?

The band … ?

I personally like them.

I’m not a huge fan, by any means, but I’ve like their music.

What annoys me … ?

Is the fact that Bono will — on a fairly regular basis — pop up and give everyone a lecture on how we should be doing more to help Africa.

I’m sure he’s got a point.

But I don‘t half get a touch twitted off by wealthy rock-stars telling me I should be doing more charity stuff: especially when they’ve got a fortune, and I’m on the sort of income I’ve got.

Same goes for multi-millionaire computer tycoons.

Why on EARTH isn’t someone like Gates pulling off a Mark Shuttleworth*, and doing something practical and within his technical field to aid the people of Africa?

And — more to the point — doing so quietly?

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Before I go into rant mode … !

»»·««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — bless ’er — putting in her answers: along with admitting she didn’t see a certain revelation from Dr Song turning upº … ? She also managed to bag 5 out of 5.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 13th June, 1893, say the birth of writer, Dorothy L. Sayers: she’s credited with coining the phrase, “It pays to” … what … ?

Q2) 13th June, 1955, saw the first diamond mine discovered in which country … ?

Q3) 13th June, 1983, saw which spacecraft become the first to leave the solar system … ?

Q4) 13th June, 1898, saw the forming of which Canadian territory … ?

Q5) And finally … 13th June, 1970, saw The Long and Winding Road become the Beatles last US release, during their career: what was their last UK release … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 12th June, 1776, saw the US state of Virginia formally adopt what … ?
A1) The Virginia Declaration of Rights.

Q2) 12th June, 1980, saw the death of holiday pioneer, Billy Butlin: his first holiday camp was in Ingoldmells: near where English resort … ?
Q2) Skegness.

Q3) 12th June, 1994, saw the first flight of which jet … ?
A3) The Boing 777.

Q4) 12th June, 1939, saw shooting begin on the first horror film to be made in Technicolour: what was the name of the film … ?
A4) Dr Cyclops.

Q5) And finally … 12th June, 1962, saw three inmates escape from which notorious prison … ?
A5) Alcatraz.
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later … !

















* I still think the Freedom Toaster idea was and is a superb one: probably an ideal one for local schools and libraries to take up on …

º Got to admit, Debbi, I wasn’t totally surprised — the rumour and speculation sites have been rumouring and speculating for a while — but what DID get me was the beautiful way it was done!

1 comment:

  1. I agree. They did a great job! :)

    1. advertise
    2. USSR
    3. Pioneer 10
    4. Yukon
    5. Let it Be

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.