Pages

Sunday, 18 September 2011

The Daily Teaser — 18-9-2011

You know, I’ve got to be honest, I owe @Alexandrafunfit a very deep apology, I really do.

You see, I managed to actually put her score for Friday’s Teaser at 1.

Instead of the 2 she’d actually bagged.

So, with that in mind … ?

Alexandra …

I’m sorry.

»»•««

Moving quickly on … ?

Moving quickly on, you’ll probably remember me mentioning the Welsh miners who died in Gleision, yesterday.

Well, I thought I’d also mention that an Appeal fund has been set up: for those of us who wish to help out, we can visit the site, here.

»»•««

Right, lets move on, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Nina — all on her ownsome, bless her … ! — putting in her answers: and, along with putting in a relevant quote* bagging 5 out of 5.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 18th September, 1928, saw Juan de la Cierva make the first crossing of the English Channel … by WHAT … ?

Q2) 18th September, 2009, saw the last episode of the world’s longest running soap opera broadcast: what was it called … ?

Q3) 18th September, 1970, saw the death of guitarist, Jimi Hendrix: what was the name of the last album he released in the UK … during his lifetime?

Q4) 18th September, 1809, saw the opening of WHICH arty building in London … ?

Q5) And FINALLY … 18th September, 324AD, saw who gain sole control of the Roman Empire, after winning the Battle of Chrysopolis.
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 17th September, 1976, saw NASA unveil the Space Shuttle, Enterprise: named Enterprise, after a letter writing campaign by Star Trek fans to which US president … ?
A1) President Gerald Ford.

Q2) More to the point … Was the Enterprise spaceworthy … ?
A2) No: it was purely designed for the test phase of the Space Shuttle programme.

Q3) 17th September, 1956, saw the first television broadcast in WHICH country … ?
A3) Australia.

Q4) 17th September, 1970, saw a civil war break out in which Middle-Eastern country?
A4) Jordan.

Q5) And finally … 17th September, 1916, saw who win his first ærial combat … ?
A5) The Red Baron, himself, Manfred von Richthofen: or Manfred Albrecht Freiherr von Richthofen, if you want to be REALLY picky … !
Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later …

After give this an airing …


Oh … And this …









* From an episode of Blackadder Goes Forth, unless I miss my guess: I’m blowed if I can remember the name of the episode in question, but it featured Ade Edmonson as as the man himself, Manfred, Freiherr von Richthofen.

2 comments:

  1. I think that episode of Black Adder is called Private Plane... :)

    Here we go:
    1) A gyrocopter
    2) Guiding Light
    3) Band of Gypsys (live)?
    4) Theathre Royal Covent Garden (re-opening)
    5) Constantine

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! Home again. I'll try to post something, as soon as I catch up. BTW, the panel went just fine! :-)

    1. autogyro or rotorcraft
    2. Guiding Light
    3. Electric Ladyland
    4. the London Royal Opera House
    5. Constantine

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.