Pages

Tuesday, 31 May 2011

The Daily Teaser: 31-5-11

Well …

It’s official … !

I got through Day 1 of not smoking, ok … !

I think …

But, by heck, last night was tricky.

Well …

End of the day, and all that.

But I do know I managed to go for a nice healthy walk.

Which helped.

But did get me thinking about when I light up.

Amazes me how we’re creatures of habit.

Lets get moving on, shall we?

Yes, lets …

»»•««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi — bless ’er — putting her answers: and, along with suggesting I stick to the gum, rather than the floorboards, she also managed to bag 6 out of 6.

Lets see how she — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video

Q1) 31st May, 1279, saw Rameses 2nd — AKA Rameses the Great — become Pharaoh of Egypt: which dynasty did he belong to … ?

Q2) 31st May, 1902, saw the signing of Treaty of Vereeniging: which war did this end … ?

Q3) According to the World Health Organisation, today is World what day … ?

Q4) 31st May, 1678, saw the beginnings of the Godiva processions through which English city … ?

Q5) More to the point, the name ‘Godiva’ means what, in modern English … ?

Q6) And finally … 31st May, 1957, saw who convicted of Contempt of Congress … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 30th May, 1431, saw the death of Saint Joan of Arc: which British band recorded two songs about her on the same album?
A1) Orchestral Maneuvers In The Dark.

Q2) More to the point, what was the name of the album … ?

Q3) 30th May, 1962, saw the birth of comic book writer and artist, Kevin Eastman: which heroes did he help create … ?
A3) The Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

Q4) 30th May, 2011, is Memorial Day, in the US: what was it originally called … ?
A4) Decoration Day.

Q5) 30th May, 1922, saw the dedication of which US memorial … ?
A5) The Lincoln Memorial.

Q6) And finally … 30th May, 1859, saw what ring for the first time … ?
A6) Big Ben: the bell in the clock-tower of the Palace Of Westminster.
Enjoy those, everyone. I’ll leave you with a couple of tunes … !





1 comment:

  1. 1. the Nineteenth
    2. the 2nd Anglo-Boer War
    3. No Tobacco Day (coincidence? :))
    4. Coventry
    5. gift of god
    6. Arthur Miller

    Good luck, Paul! Stay steady! You can do it. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.