Monday, 25 June 2012

The Daily Teaser — 25-06-2012

You know, I have to admit to mixed feelings.

On the ONE hand … ?   I’ll admit to a certain amount of disappointment that the England side didn’t make it through to the Euro 2012 semifinals.

On the OTHER hand … ?

I’ve got to admit to a certain amount of relief that we’re out.

That means there’s going to be no interruption to the TV schedules — and no potential interruption to my favourite shows — for at least … 

Well, about 10 minutes, actually.

Wimbledon … !

Oh, well … 

At least that’s an excuse to buy some strawberries …

‹‹•››

But let’s move on, shall we, before I start joining the (currant) national sport of wondering why the England team are useless at penalty shoot-outs.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Debbi and Peter putting in their answers: with Peter* bagging 1 point, and Debbi scoring 6, it ALSO saw Debbiº pointing out, quite rightly, that mystery writers need to keep an eye on details, too!

Let’s see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we?   Here they are, along with the ‘How To’, License and video … 


Q1) 25th June, 1993, saw Kim Campbell become the first woman to be elected as PM of where … ?
Q2) Whilst we’re being political, 25th June, 1938, saw Dr Douglas Hyde elected as President of where … ?
Q3) 25th June, 2005, saw who elected as President of Iran … ?
Q4) 25th June, 1788, saw where become the 10th US state to ratify the Constitution … ?
Q5) 25th June, 1932, saw the birth of Pop artist, Peter Blake: which Christmas single did he famously design the cover of … ?
Q6) Finally, and more to the point, which revered British New Wave singer was Peter Blake the tutor of, during the 1960s … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 24th June, 1947, saw Kenneth Arnold make the first widely reported sighting of a UFO: what does UFO stand for … ?
A1) Unidentified Flying Object.
Q2) More to the point, in which US state was this … ?
A2) Washington: near Mount Rainier, if you’re curious.
Q3) 24th June, 1916, saw who become the first woman to sign a $1, 000, 000 Hollywood contract … ?
A3) Mary Pickford.
Q4) 24th June, 2010 saw John Isner beat Nicolas Mahut at the conclusion of their sport’s longest profession match.   What WAS their sport … ?
A4) Lawn Tennis.
Q5) 24th June, 972, saw which country win the Battle of Cedynia?
A5) Poland.   (It was Poland’s first ever documented military victory.)
Q6) And finally … 24th June, 1974, saw Britain’s government admit to having tested what … ?
A6) A nuclear bomb.
Enjoy those, everyone.

I’ll leave you with something soulful, shall I … ?



And ok … England MAY be out of Euro 2012: but at least it’s sunny enough to justify my playingª this …










*        Wacky Baccy, Pete … ?   That’s not QUITE the answer I had in mind … !

º        Very VERY true, Debbi!   Now why didn’t I think of that … ?   Hark at me, telling you your job … !

ª        Debbi, Pete, can I ask … ?   What on EARTH was frontman, Eddie Ten Pole ON … ???

1 comment:

  1. Whatever that guy was on, I love that song! :) I can't wait to come to England. Ha ha ha ...

    1. Canada
    2. Ireland
    3. Mahmoud Ahmedinejad
    4. Virginia
    5. Do They Know It's Christmas?
    6. Ian Dury

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.