Tuesday 15 October 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15-10-2024 — Nature vs Nietzsche

15th October, 2024: Nature vs Nietzsche.


Right, I have to admit, I was up early, again, today.

I’m getting a mattress delivered, this morning.

And … ?

I’m getting the old one removed by the delivery company.

After a bad night’s sleep.   Stress induced, I think: I had a few deliveries, and my weight management meeting … 

And a phone call from the Department of Work and Pensions: to review my Universal Credit claim.

Mostly about my bank, and PayPal, statements for the last few months.

All that … and waiting for yesterday’s batch of deliveries?

Well, stress is the word, I think!

~≈😖≈~

I follow the news: so?

When Radio Four’s Today programme announces news that interests me, I pay attention.

I’m obese, so you know: managing my weight by a mix of meal-monitoring, and taking at least one dual use medication.

I’m on Mounjaro: but have used Ozempic.

So notice the piece on the Today programme: that tells us the Health Secretary is planning to introduce weight loss drugs for the unemployed.

As he feels it will save the National Health Service money, long term: and improve the economy, by reducing the amount of sick days taken by people like me.

I’d welcome that: knowing the good these drugs can do.

But … ?

Wonder why it hasn’t been done earlier.

~≈💉≈~

Let’s move on.

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        Philosopher, Friedrich Nietzsche, was born on 15th October.   Of which year of the 1840s?

Q2)        He was born in a village called Röcken.   In what’s now which country: Austria, Germany or Liechtenstein?

Q3)        In Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Nietzsche said who was dead: God, the Devil or Elvis?

Q4)        Nietzsche held the Chair of Classical Philology at the University of Basel.   Where is Basel: Austria, Germany or Switzerland?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Some of Nietzsche’s philosophy spoke of Apollo and Dionysius.   The pair were gods from Ancient where: Greece, Rome or Egypt?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Mary, Queen of Scots went on trial on conspiracy charges, on 14th October.   14th October of which year: 1584, 1586 or 1588?
A1)        1586.   (She was accused of taking part in a plot against Elizabeth 1st.).

Q2)        14th October, 1983, saw Cecil Parkinson resign his Cabinet post: over a scandal.    What had his post been: Secretary of State for Energy, Secretary of State for Trade and Industry or Secretary of State for Transport?

Q3)        The HMS Royal Oak was sunk on 14th October, 1939: by a German submarine.     Whilst it was anchored, where: Scapa Flow, Lossiemouth or Portsmouth?
A3)        Scapa Flow.   (The wreck is a designated war grave.)

Q4)        Elizabeth 2nd opened Parliament on 14th October, 1957.   Which Parliament: the UK’s, Canada’s or Australia’s?
A4)        Canada’s.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Jim Hines broke the ten second barrier: on 14th October, 1968.   In which race: the 100 metres, 200 metres or 400 metres?
A5)        The 100 metres.
Here’s a thought …
“Here the ways of men part: if you wish to strive for peace of soul and pleasure, then believe; if you wish to be a devotee of truth, then inquire.”
Friedrich Nietzsche.
A song …


And an earworm …



Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        It could be worse, Olga.   I grew up being told Columbus was Italian: which the Wikipedia article appears to support.   I can’t see if it’s been updated, though.
        As for Trump … ?   Didn’t he declare peace with North Korea?   That lasted until Biden got in, I think.   The sooner the USA elect’s someone sensible, the better!

        Yeah, de Valera was something of an ambiguous figure, Debbi.   There’s some interestingly wise stuff on his Wikipedia page, but there’s a few choice words about the English.

No comments: