Monday 19 February 2024

Doctor Who — The Underwater Menace — Episode 3 — A Review

18th February 2024: an introduction!


Right … 

As I write, it’s 15:30 on a Sunday afternoon: and … ?

I’ll be having dinner at my family’s.

When I get back … ?

I’ll be making myself a cup of tea … then watching episode three of The Underwater Menace!

I’ll be letting you know what I thought of it by tomorrow night … 

~≈🐙≈~


19th February 2024: episode 3.

Episode 3 of The Underwater Menace opens by recapping last week’s cliffhanger: showing us that King Thous (Noel Johnson) has had the Doctor and Ramo (Patrick Troughton and Tom Watson) captured by the evil Zaroff (Joseph Furst).

Who orders his guards to take the two captives back to the temple of Amdo: whilst he, Zaroff, stays explain to the king how his plan is going to raise Atlantis to the surface.

Rather than destroying the whole planet, as the Doctor has said.

~≈🐙≈~

At the Temple?

At the Temple, the Doctor and Ramo are having a bad afternoon: as they’ve been taken to the Temple of Ambo to be sacrificed.

With axes.

The one time the Doctor could do with a miracle?   Is the one time a miracle happens.

As the statue of Amdo tells the priests in the Temple to bow down before her: and only look up, once the prisoners have vanished!

Miracles have a funny habit of turning up when you need them … 

~≈🐙≈~

Now, what did I make of this episode … ?

Of episode three of The Underwater Menace?

And what, exactly, does ‘camp’ mean?

Let’s start with that second question, first, shall we?

What does ‘camp’ mean … ?

I’ve got to confess … I have no idea … !

Beyond a very basic definition of ‘over-the-top’?

No-one’s ever explained it too me.

Personally?

I’ve always thought the Flash Gordon series of the late 1930s would count: Buster Crabbe’s certainly outfits would!

As would Professor Zaroff’s cry, at the end of this episode, of “Nothing in the world can stop me, now”.

It’s just ever so slightly over-the-top.

The episode, itself?

Is another well played one: moving the story forward, and makes good use of its characters.

One minor plot point?   Is that Sean and Jacko manage to persuade the Fish people, the Atlantean slave caste, to go on strike.

A message conveyed by one of the fish slaves to the others: by way of an underwater dance.

It has to be said, looking at the live action version of the scene, to compare it to the animated version?

The animated version looks a lot better than the live action one included with this set!

As do the animated versions of the fish people.

I’m assuming the animated version has a better budget!

Or, at least, took a chance on redesigning one of the show’s ropier creatures.

That’s worked well, I think.

~≈🐙≈~

One thing that didn’t?

Is some of the dialogue.

Some of Polly’s is understandable: but definitely muffled in parts.

Again, I’m not blaming sound-restorer, Mark Ayers, for any flaw in the dialogue: I know he has to work with what he’s got.

I just think he doesn’t necessarily have the best of audio sources for The Underwater Menace.

Talking of dialogue?

I think … know … that the animators have made something of a mistake or two in this episode.

At the 14:34 to 14:38 mark we hear Ben say “What’s so funny”: but see Jamie’s mouth saying the line.

And hear Jamie say “Aye, what?” … and see Ben’s mouth saying the line.


There’s a similar scene: at the 15:30 to 15:34 mark, after Zaroff has faked a seizure.

And  both of theses dialogue flaws are in the colour, and black and white editions of the piece.

Ben and Jamie’s voices are coming out of the wrong faces!

I’m assuming the flaw’s in the master that both versions were taken from.

I’ll be honest: I’m not actually worried.

It’s a lot like flawed stamps or coins … or, more accurately, like Mr Perry’s wandering buttonhole, in Episode Two of The Evil of the Daleks.




They’re minor, but noticeable, flaws.

The sort that are insignificant for most us: and only adds to the value for collectors … 

And to the entertainment factor for those of us who feel it’s something to watch out for!

~≈🐙≈~

At any rate … ?

At any rate, did those problems spoil my viewing?

Nope!

The muffled dialogue is dealable with: either by pressing rewind, switching on the subtitles … or just by paying attention.

The flaws … ?

Are fun: if you’re the sort of fans keeping an eye open for this sort of thing!

Yes: I am.

And you can bet your proverbial rear, that I want to see the fourth and last episode.

I want to see the close of the story: and if there’s any more flaws!

I’ll be watching episode four of The Underwater Menace on Sunday, 25th February: and putting my written and video reviews up on 26th February.

I’ll see you then!

Episode 3
★★★☆

No comments: