Sunday 4 February 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 4-2-2024 — The Social Network

4th February, 2024: the Social Network.


Yep: it’s Sunday.

And I think I’d like to go back to bed: I had a comparatively late night, last night.

Dinner with the family finished late: although it DID give Bobby the cat a chance to explore the conservatory.


~≈Ç≈~

Remember, recently, that I bought a new web cam?   A Nolansend 4k camera?

One that had been advertised as capable of 4K recording?   But that turned out not to?

I was disappointed … but have kept the thing, as it’s, fundamentally, a good camera: just not completely as advertised.

Amazon’s done it’s usual thing: and assumed I’m interested in more 4k cameras.

And waved this Depstech-branded camera at me.

Which seems to have the same issue, according to the critical reviews.

On top of that, there’s at least one other Nolansend branded camera with at least one bad review, complaining about the same issue: that the given camera doesn’t do what the listing says it does.

I’ve been conned before now, by third party sellers on Amazon: conned into buying a USB stick with a far smaller capacity than claimed.

Frankly?

I’m wondering if these iffy cameras are a new, similar, trend.

~≈Ç≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everybody scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.


Q1)        4th February saw the founding of a well known social network.   Which social network: X, Facebook, Mastodon or MySpace?

Q2)        It was founded in which year: 2003, 2004 or 2005?

Q3)        The network’s now owned by a company called what: Meta, Morpheus or Phor?

Q4)        That company owns a messaging app.   Called what: WhatsApp, Skype or Zoom?

Q5)        Finally … ?   A film about the social network was released in 2010.   What was the film called?

Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 


Q1)        Mehmed 2nd inherited the throne: on 3rd February, 1451.   Of where: the Chinese Empire, Ottoman Empire or British Empire?
A1)        The Ottoman Empire.

Q2)        As ruler of that empire, what was Mehmed’s title: Emperor, Sultan or Khan?
A2)        Sultan.

Q3)        Mehmed was known as Mehmed the what: Coward, Conqueror or Careful?
A3)        Conqueror.

Q4)        1453 saw Mehmed name the capital of his empire.   Which city was it: Bursa, Constantinople or Nicomedia?
A4)        Constantinople.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Mehmed’s dynasty were whom: the Osmans, the Julio-Claudians or the Pahlavis?
A5)        The Osmans.

Here’s a thought …
“Membership was initially limited to Harvard students, gradually expanding to other North American universities.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the network.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.







*        Oh, personal taxes, Olga§ … ?   Yeah: the few bits of trading and blogging I do, mean I’m under the minimum income threshold: which is a relief!   I’d have to register as self-employed if it wasn’t.   It’s not something I’ve done up until now as — as fun as it is — the blog’s not made much in the way of money!   It’s too much faff for not enough gain!
        Talking of faff?   Yeah: you’re not the first person I’ve known mention how awkward US sales taxes are: I think Debbi mentioned it, on her one trip, here.   It does seem an odd way of doing things.
        IVA … ?   That’s “Impuesto sobre el Valor Añadido”, is that right?   That’s what it says, here, anyway!   Guess what Google Translate says it means in English … ?


        Hello, Mum!   Did Katie and Jim get home OK … ?

        I’d assume Deep Creek Lake’s a reservoir, Debbi§: is that right?   Most of the artificial lakes in the UK are, I think!   And I have to confess, I could never work out how to pronounce ‘Chesapeake’: is it ‘cheez-AR-peak’ or ‘cheez-a-pee-key’?   The latter was what I was taught at school, I know that!
        I never think of the Osmonds, Debbi.   I always think of a fictional cabbie called Ali Osman: he was one of the original characters in EastEnders.   (The character was from a Turkish Cypriot family who’d emigrated to London, many years earlier.)


§        Oh, today’s earworm … ?   (Is that Jeff Lynn standing to Harrison’s left … ?   Beard, shades?)

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Facebook

Q2) 2004

Q3) Meta

Q4) WhatsApp

Q5) The Social Network, funnily enough!

Yes, I imagine. I did my tax returns after I left Medicine, when I was doing translations, etc, but I never reached the limit in any case, although I kept paying some insurance. It wasn't too complicated in the UK (I'm not sure how things are now) but it is more complete here, as you are supposed to be making a regular amount of money from whatever activity you do, and you have to do paperwork every three months or so (and pay insurance, of course, but that depends on how much money you make and how long you've been in business for). The problem is, that if by the nature of your business you don't make a regular income, there aren't any great options out there, and if you make very little, you might end up having to pay more in insurance than what you get. It isn't surprising that a lot of people do cash-in-hand things instead. They don't make it easy.
I have to do a tax return because of the flat I bought when I came that I have rented, although I don't reach the minimum either, but it is the law. I don't get any other income, because although there are some schemes and payments available at a certain age, I didn't work long enough in Spain to be eligible for any of those, so there you have it.

Mum said...

1 Facebook
2 2004
3 Meta
4 WhatsApp
5 Social Network!

Debbi said...

Actually, it's pronounced chess-a-peak here. But what interesting alternatives. :)

1. Facebook
2. 2004
3. Meta
4. WhatsApp
5. The Social Network