Thursday 31 December 2020

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 31-12-20: The 2020 Review of the Year of Diseased Pariahs!

31st December, 2020.



Can you do me a huge favour?

Please?

Remind me to look up the government’s Cold Weather payment’s, at some point.

I should be eligible, I think.

Frankly?

Any extra help that comes is welcome.

It’s bloody cold!

~≈Ê≈~

Oh, I’m listening to Radio Four’s Today programme, at the mo.

Today’s guest editor, Bishop Rose Hudson-Wilkin, has commissioned a number of articles about Ubuntu: the South African belief in showing humanity to others.

Frankly, I’m hoping they mention the operating system* named for it.

But I’m not getting my hopes up!

~≈Ê≈~

Oh … just as a final thought … ?

My Amazon delivery’s here.

One?   I’ve been looking forward to getting those tongs!

Two?   I had to give the delivery driver a password!

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Mum‡, Debbi^ and Edithª and putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum and Edith on four.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        January saw the government of New South Wales, Australia, declare a State of Emergency.   In response to what: SARS-CoV-2, rabies or bushfires?

Q2)        February? The World Health Organisation name the disease that’s dominated 2020.   What is that disease?

Q3)        March 2020 saw the European Broadcasting Union announce they were to cancel the 2020 edition of which song contest?

Q4)        In April, the traditional Urbi et Orbi Easter message was delivered by live stream: rather than to a live audience.   Delivere by whom: the Archbishop of Canterbury, the Pope or the Archimandrite of Alexandria?

Q5)        Late May saw protests start in the US: against the death of whom?

Q6)        June saw the number of confirmed cases of the disease in Q2 exceed what: five million, ten million or twenty million?

Q7)        Kim Jong-un declared a state of emergency in his country.   What is that country: North Korea, Vietnam or South Korea?

Q8)        August, 2020: the Africa Regional Certification Commission declared Africa was free of what: SARS-CoV-2, Smallpox or Polio?

Q9)        A copy of The Two Noble Kinsmen was discovered in Salamanca, in Spain.   The Two Noble Kinsmen is the last play co-writen by who: Ben Jonson, William Shakespeare or Thomas Middleton?

Q10)        October of this year, saw the Falkland Islands declared free of what: landmines, SARS-CoV-2 or penguins?

Q11)        November saw the USA hold its presidential election.   Who is due to become president as a result?

Q12)        Finally … ?   December saw Margaret Keenan became the first person vaccinated against what?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Rudyard Kipling was born on 30th December.   On which year of the 1860s?
A1)        1865.

Q2)        What was his first name?
A2)        Joseph.

Q3)        Where was he born: Mumbai, Delhi or Bangalore?
A3)        Mumbai: then called Bombay.

Q4)        Kipling’s The Jungle Book, and The Second Jungle Book included many stories about a little boy called what?
A4)        Mowgli. (Apparently? It’s pronounced MAU-gli, rather than MOW-gli.   In other words, the first syllable rhymes with cow.)

Q5)        Finally?   Which Kipling novel sees its hero playing ‘the Great Game?’
A5)        Kim.
Here’s a thought … 
“I heard someone say, ‘It’s December! Maybe 2020 saved the best for last.’ I'm not sure whether to be hopeful or nervous about that.”
Steve Maraboli.
And Spotify UK’s most streamed song of the year …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Feel free to share today’s video Teaser.

Have a good day.






*        The first Mac I bought was a refurbished one: running a version of Ubuntu 5:10 Breezy Badger.

†        That would be bloody handy, Olgaº!   Some sort of dog tag could help, as well!   (Lord knows what Trump’s would look like!).  Now I think of it?   Iain Banks?   Always called himself Iain M. Banks, when he published his science fiction novels.   (His mainstream novels were always too way out, for me!)

‡        Hello, Mumº!

^        Oh, I wish, Debbiº!   Mind you … I wouldn’t look good in some of Missy’s outfit’s!   I never could get the hang of The Office: I always find Rick Gervais a bit off-putting.   That … and I’ve had bosses like that!   (Did I mention I’ve got hold of all three series of Count Arthur Strong?   Much more my thing.)



ª        My pleasure, Edithº, any time!   I have to admit, Was (Not Was) have been a favourite of mine for years.   Their different versions of Out Come the Freaks are fantastic.   (It’s the same tune: but the band’s done at least three arrangements.   Each verse has a different set of stories!)


º        Sorry about the amount of questions, today: but Review of the Year sets tend to have one per month. I’ve tried to stay away from diseases … 

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Bushfires
Q2) COVID-19
Q3) Eurovision
Q4) The Pope
Q5) George Floyd
Q6) 10 million
Q7) North Korea
Q8) Polio
Q9) William Shakespeare
Q10) Landmines
Q11) Joe Biden
Q12) COVID-19 (In the UK. I think in Russia and China some people had been vaccinated already, in China soldiers and doctors under the emergency regime, I believe, although how effective the vaccines, who knows? And of course, those who participated in the tests were vaccinated as well, but I know what you mean).
Happy 2021! Stay warm!

Freda said...

1 Bushfires
2 Covid 19
3 Eurovision Thank God!!
4 tHE pOPE
5 George Floyd
6 5 Million
7 North Korea
8 Smallpox
9 William Shakespere
10Landmines
11 Joe Biden
12 Covid 19

Debbi said...

I've had similar bosses. Which makes it painfully funny. :)

1. bushfires
2. COVID-19
3. Eurovision
4. the Pope
5. George Floyd
6. five million
7. North Korea
8. polio
9. William Shakespeare
10. landmines
11. Joe Biden (with any luck!)
12. COVID-19

Edith said...

1,Sars-coV-2
2.Carona virus
3. Eurovision
4. The pope
5.George Floyd
6. 10 million
7. North Korea
8. Smallpox
9. Ben Johnson
10.land mines
11. Joe Biden
12. Carona Virus

Your benifts