Monday 31 January 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 31-1-2022: Nauru

31st January, 2022.


It’s a Monday: which is nice.

It’s the start of another new week: and means I’m a week nearer finding out if I’m getting any extra financial help.

The sooner that happens, the better.

The sooner I can start appealing, if need be.

~≈®≈~

At any rate … ?

I’ve officially got a visit, this morning: from a worker form the Office of National Statistics, the ONS.

They’re doing a study on the spread of of COVID-19: and I’m one of the people taking part.

It’s nice: and the £25 voucher they give you is appreciated.

But it DOES mean the calls to arrange the visit come in at all sorts of times.

I really shouldn’t complain: I did volunteer, after all!

~≈®≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.



Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Nauru became independent on 31st January, 1968.   From where: Australia, the UK or New Zealand?

Q2)        It’s in which ocean: the Pacific, the Atlantic or the Indian?

Q3)        It’s the third smallest sovereign state on Earth. Name either one of the two smallest.

Q4)        What’s the most popular sport in Nauru: Soccer, Australian rules Football or Cricket?

Q5)        Finally … ?   What is Nauru: a monarchy, republic or theocracy?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Protestors were killed on Bloody Sunday, on 30th January.   30th January of which year of the 1970s?
A1)        1972.

Q2)        In which nation of the UK: England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland?
A2)        Northern Ireland.

Q3)        It took place in the Bogside area of which city?
A3)        The city known variously as Derry, or Londonderry.

Q4)        26 people were shot at by British Soldiers.   From which regiment: the Special Air Service, the Parachute Regiment or the Royal Anglian Regiment?
A4)        The Parachute Regiment: the 1st Battalion, specifically.

Q5)        Finally … ?   How many people died on Bloody Sunday: eleven, twelve or thirteen?
A5)        Thirteen.   A fourteenth person died later.
Here’s a motto … 
“God’s will, first.”
Nauru’s motto.
And a national anthem …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Ooooh … it’s a golden handshake, Olga: a big payout to get someone working for or publishing with, them!
        And yes: I’ll go with that: Afghanistan’s a definite mess, since the withdrawal.   I can only hope this bout of sabre rattling is exactly that: sabre rattling.   Given the Partygate situation with the British Government — you knew the PM’s office held staff parties over lockdown? — and the fuss about National Insurance going up?   I can’t help but wonder if the UK Government is grateful for the distraction!   (I really do have to look at the US Civil War again, and Reconstruction: about The only thing I remember of it, is the term, ‘carpet baggers.’)
        Remind me to tell you about the Dead Cat Strategy.   I think it’s very relevant, right now … 

        Hello, Mum!

        Yeah, I knew it was fourteen that eventually dies, Debbi: that’s why I tried to phrase the question how I did.   I knew I had a recovering lawyer lurking around … !   :D
        I’m still not sure if the quote’s a Rowan Atkinson or Mel Smith, to be frank: Not The Nine O’Clock News had the cast turning up as faux newsreaders: who’d come up with all sorts of one liners!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) This is a bit of a weird one, because, if I understand it correctly (according to both, Wikipedia and the Encyclopedia Britannica), it was a Trusteeship of the three nations was the joint administering authority, although, in practice, it was Australia who appointed the administrator, so I guess we could say Australia, but not sure that is accurate.

Q2) The Pacific

Q3) It’s the third smallest sovereign state on Earth. Name either one of the two smallest. Vatican City or Monaco (I’ve visited both. Perhaps I should put Nauru on my list, but although it sounds like an intriguing place, I am not sure it has much on offer for tourist...)

Q4) Australian rules Football

Q5) A republic
Oh, I love the Dead Cat comment/metaphor. I don't know if you've ever watched a movie called "Wag the Dog". I did because David Mamet, the writer and director I did my PhD on, wrote a script for it (although it was disputed if they used his version or another writer's, but, in any case, both got credit for it), and the story is very good and funny (although perhaps not as outlandish as they might have thought initially, in light of everything that happened later), but I remember it came out shortly before the Lewinsky-Clinton scandal, and there was quite a lot of comment about the attacks on Iraq (I happened to be in the US at the time, studying, so it was interesting from that perspective), and how it was a similar move.
Oh, there is a lot of stuff on the American South after the war, but the idea of the reconstruction and the fact that African Americans would be given the vote and would join the government, only went so far... (as the Civil Rights movement made only too clear).
I hope your day is not too disrupted by the visit. But at least there is always the voucher.

Freda said...

1 Australia
2 Pacific
3 Monaco
4 Australian rules football
5 Republic

Debbi said...

Good stuff, that! :)

1. Australia
2. the Pacific
3. Monaco
4. Australian rules Football
5. a republic