Monday 18 April 2011

The Vote …

Hmmm …

You know, I’ve got to admit, I’ve had a busy day, today: long story, that I’ll maybe tell you about, another time.

However, I know I’ve had the news on, at various stages of the day.

Complete with the inevitable circus about the up-coming elections: including the various cross-party speeches for both the ‘Yes’ and ‘No’ campaigns.

I’ve got to admit, something Labour Leader, Ed Milliband said, in one of those speeches, this morning, struck me as rather silly.

Well …

Not silly, per se.

Just something I think many of us will ignore.

He said “Don't make this a referendum on David Cameron or Nick Clegg or Ed Miliband - make it a referendum about what kind of politics we want in this country.”.

Off the top of me head, I know Councillor Chilvers has made near enough the same point.

The problem I’m having, though … ?

I know there’s a very good point, there: indeed, anyone that’s been to any kind of 12-step group will have be familiar with the 12th Tradition, which states “Anonymity is the spiritual foundation of all our traditions, ever reminding us to place principles before personalities”.

It’s a very good point, I think.

The problem is … ?

I’m sitting here thinking that my first instinct, when Milliband said this … ?

Was to laugh at him for being so naïve.

After all, I’m talking about politics, here.

On a personal level, I am still tempted to vote to keep First-Past-The-Post.

In part, because Nick Clegg — the leader of the party I’ve voted for, for a large part of my adult life — has joined that coalition.

Oh, I know the arguments for and against, I really do.

And intellectually … ?

I’m all for AV.

But on an emotional level, the basic one I find that kicks in, around now … ?

Well …

Lets just say I’m also aware that the 12 Traditions aren’t the first thing I think of, whenever politics gets a mention.

1 comment:

RP said...

While a different voting system might be fairer, AV isn't it.
Proportional Representation would be a fairer system in theory, but in reality it can give power to extremist groups. (Consider how the Nazis came to power.)
I watched the political broadcasts For and Against AV, and the only argument For AV seemed to be that it would stop expenses abuses. I very much doubt it would stop these abuses, and there are many simpler ways of stopping abuses, such as banning expenses altogether and upping salaries to compensate.
Much as I dislike Ed Millipede, I agree we must vote on what is best for the country, and not on emotive issues, such as a preference for one current candidate, or because one side decides to attack expenses (which have nothing to do with the voting system, and everything to do with the claiming-for-expenses system).