Friday, 24 June 2011

BBC News - Columbo star Peter Falk dies aged 83



Good lord … !

I’ve got to admit, I’m mildly surprised, I really am.

Well.

Surprised …

Not not necessarily shocked.

You see, I’ve just seen a Tweet from actor, writer and comedian Stephen Fry float past in my timeline.

Saying he’d heard the news that actor — and star of Columbo — Peter Falk had died.

At the age of 83.

Now, I’m not sure if old age was the death of him …

But I do know he’d Alzheimer’s, in the past few years.

Bizarrely …

Bizarrely, I’m pretty positive I’d’ve hated to have been his family, these last few years.

»»·««

I’ve a reason for saying that, before you interrupt …

You’ve probably worked put I’m a Terry Pratchett fan, haven’t you … ?

I am …

And part of what made the news Terry Pratchett being diagnosed with a form of early on-set Alzheimer’s was the simple fact that the disease had killed a much loved grandmother of mine, in the end.

I know this is going to sound harsh: but I’m really not that worried, having seen what Alzheimer’s can do.

But Peter Falk’s death … ?

I’m thinking Peter Falk’s death, after a struggle with possibly one of the nastier diseases this world can throw at a person … ?

I’m going to be contentious, here, and tell you what I think I and many others would have said, not long after losing a relative to this condition …

I’m thinking Peter Falk’s family will feel a certain measure of relief.

After all, what died today … ?

Was only his body.

Alzheimer’s would’ve killed his mind — a mind that entertained so many — a long time ago …

»»Ω««

2 comments:

  1. He was one of my favorite actors. I loved him in Columbo, although his work was comprised of much more than that. Here's a video of Falk with one of my other favorite actors: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lA3OK2uVoKs

    ReplyDelete
  2. Actually, can I make a confession, Debbi … ?

    Many moons ago, some friends and I got chatting about Columbo.

    We all of us agreed Falk had done the definitive job …

    But also all felt there was only one person who could replace him in the part.

    Christian Slater …

    Now I know there’s probably no chance of it ever hitting the big screen …

    But I’m wondering if Falk would’ve given that bit of casting his blessing …

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.