Hmmm …
You know, I’ve seen a good few films in my time, I really have.
But I’m ALSO thinking that the flick I’ve seen tonight … ?
Is …
Not necessarily bad.
But not necessarily one that I’ll be getting dribbingly excited about.
Hmmm …
Let’s see if we can’t explain, shall we … ?
☴☲☱☲☴
1990’s The Handmaid’s Tale is set in a not too distantly future USA: where serious environmental damage — and ongoing pollution — rendered many women sterile.
Focusing on Kate — the Handmaid of the tale, and played by Natasha Richardson — assigned to The Commander (Robert Duvall) and his wife, Serena Joy (Faye Dunaway), as a sexual slave.
And follows her story as she gradually becomes involved with both an underground rebel group, with the cult like organization of the Handmaid group that trained her …
And with the family’s chauffeur, Nick.
☴☲☱☲☴
Hmmm …
Now, I’ve GOT to admit, I would love to tell you this was a film that was a pleasure to watch.
Unfortunately, I don’t think I can.
You see, having checked out the Wikipedia entry for the film, I find that The Handmaid’s Tale had something of a mixed production: with both the original director dropping the project, after many arguments with the studio. The original screen writer — Harold Pinter, of all people — withdrawing after completing a draft and a half — I’m guessing, there — and the replacement writer — Margaret Atwood, writer of the novel that the film is based on — being called in as a replacement.
It shows.
The whole effect is that The Handmaid’s Tale is something of an well meaning, but irreparable mess.
Which is a shame, I think.
The Handmaid’s Tale, for all it’s fine cast, and interesting ideas … ?
Could WELL have been a lot better than it actually is.
The Handmaid’s Tale
☆☆☆☆

No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.