Friday 20 June 2014

The Daily Teaser — 20-6-2014: Queen Victoria

Right, that should be that … 

For once.

If you’ve been reading me for a while, you’ll’ve probably worked out that I’m not a football fan.

Dr Who, yes.

Football, no.

Which probably dates back to growing up in 1970s and ’80s,

I can distinctly remember one or two episodes being delayed after a match went into extra time.

Something I resented then: and still do, now, to an extent.

So, from where I’m sitting … ?   Well, from where I’m sitting, the fact England where beaten 2-1 by Uruguay, last night, and are looking at going out if Italy don’t win their next two matches.   Oh, and lose or draw to Costa Rica.

From a personally perspective?   I always say I hope England do well.   But look forward to them going out of the tournament, as that signals the end of the media rumpus for another four years

The one thing I really resent?   Is the way people bang on about it.

~≈Ê≈~

But let’s move on, shall we?   Yesterday’s Teaser saw Debbi* putting in her answers: and scoring nine out of ten.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s rather regal set, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How ToLicense and video

Q1) 20th June saw Queen Victoria accede to the throne of the UK, on the death of her Uncle.   Who was her uncle … ?
Q2) In which year of the 1830s?
Q3) Victoria’s coronation was in which year of the 1830s?
Q4) What was the name of her dynasty … ?
Q5) How old was Victoria when she succeeded to the UK’s monarchy: 16, 17 or 18 … ?
Q6) Who was Victoria’s first Prime Minister?
Q7) Victoria was the first British sovereign to take up residence in which London Palace?
Q8) Famously, Victoria mourned the death of her husband for many years.   Who was her husband?
Q9) Victoria was the first British monarch to be Empress of where … ?
Q10) Finally … who succeeded Victoria as British sovereign, on her death in 1901 … ?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 19th June saw Julius and Ethel Rosenburg executed for spying on the USA.   In which year of the 1950s … ?
A1) 1953.
Q2) Which country were they spying for … ?
A2) The Soviet Union.
Q3) They were passing information about what, to the enemy: encryption, the A-bomb or US Army plans … ?
A3) The A-bomb.
Q4) At which prison were they executed: Alcatraz, Sing Sing or Folsom … ?
A4) Sing Sing.
Q5) In which US state is that prison … ?
A5) New York.
Q6) Moving on … what’s the name of the USA’s intelligence agency … ?
Q7) What’s the UK’s foreign intelligence agency … ?
A7) Secret Intelligence Service: also known as the SIS or MI6.   (The last time I looked at their website, the Circus wanted ‘artworkers’.   NOW I’m curious … )
Q8) The chief of that agency is known by which letter: M, C, X or I … ?
A8) C: after Captain Sir Mansfield Smith-Cumming, the first Chief.
Q9) What name Britain’s counter-intelligence and security service … ?
A9) There’s two: the Security Service, or MI5.
Q10) Britain’s signals intelligence is the Government Communications Headquarters, or GCHQ.   In which Gloucestershire town is GCHQ … ?
I’ll leave you with this diary entry …
“Since it has pleased Providence to place me in this station, I shall do my utmost to fulfill my duty towards my country; I am very young and perhaps in many, though not in all things, inexperienced, but I am sure that very few have more real good will and more real desire to do what is fit and right than I have.”
From Queen Victoria’s Diary.
And this tune: just because of the name … !


Enjoy the day … !






*        Always the way, Debbi!

1 comment:

Nik Nak said...

Right! Let's see if I can make a go of these! :)

1. William IV
2. 1837
3. 1838
4. the Victorian era
5. 18
6. William Lamb
7. Buckingham Palace
8. Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha
9. India
10. Edward VII

Debbi