Saturday 19 March 2022

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 19-3-2022: Bruce Willis

19th March, 2022.


Right … 

I had a phone call, yesterday.

Some time back, I put for extra help demo the Job Centre: for various extra benefits.

I had the assessment, late last year.

I’m still hoping to get them.

However?

I got turned for them on the 16th.

So … ?   I requested a mandatory reconsideration: the first stage in an appeal against the decision.

On the 17th.

I got the official phonecall — and a chance to offer extra evidence — yesterday.

That’s something I did with a certain amount of nervousness.

After all, I don’t know how much help it’s going to be: I’m fully expecting a second turndown, at some point.

We’ll have to see.

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ and putting in their answers: with everyone five out of five.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        19th March saw the birth of actor, Bruce Willis.   In which year of the 1950s?

Q2)        He played David Addison Jr in which TV series: Moonlighting, Daylight Saving or The Day of The Triffids?

Q3)        Willis played John McClane in the Die Hard movies.   The first, Die Hard, was released in which year of the 1980s?

Q4)        Which 1999 film sees Willis playing Malcolm Crowe?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Both Willis, and Joseph Gordon-Leavitt, playing a character called Joe. In which 2012 film?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The first person to walk in space — Alexei Leonov — did so on 18th March, 1965.   Which country was he from: the USA, the USSR or the UK?
A1)        The USSR.

Q2)        18th March, 1968, saw the US Congress remove the dollar from what: the gold standard, silver standard or platinum standard?
A2)        The gold standard.

Q3)        18th March, 1893, saw the birth of war poet, Wilfred Owen.   He died during which war: the Boer War, First World War or Second World War?
A3)        The First World War.   (Quoting him, ands his poetry?   Seems relevant.)

Q4)        18th March, 1992, saw white South Africans vote to end what: apartheid, Nelson Mandela’s prison sentence or conscription?
A4)        Apartheid.

Q5)        Finally … ?   18th March, 1858, saw the birth of Rudolf Diesel.   He invented the Diesel what: computer, engine or ornithopter?
A5)        The Diesel Engine.   (Regular petrol and gas engines need a spark plug to ignite the fuel.   Diesel engines compress air, until it ignites the fuel.)
Here’s a thought … 
“You can’t undo the past . . . but you can certainly not repeat it.”
Bruce Willis.
Which possibly explains why he’s never re-released this …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Cheers, Olga!   I’ve got the call out of the way: that should get the reconsideration parted started.   Quite when I’ll hear, though?   I don’t know.   I’ve heard a few stories, though: including ones that mention delays.
        Funny you should mention that album: Robert picked a song from it, Your Long Journey, as his last tune.
        As for the war?   I had price increases in mind, when I quoted that second quote.   Prices rises here have been getting worse since COVID struck: but the War’s adding additional fuel increases.   But, yeah, you’re right: the arms industry would have to find something to if permanent peace broke out.   The situation’s doing someone a favour!
        Oh, talking of music?   I caught a documentary about British synth pop, today: one that gave OMD a mention.   Architecture and Morality is one hell of an album!


        Hello, Mum!

        Yes, it was Eccleston: he seemed the best reader for Dulce Et, somehow.   That poem is a century and more, old, and still seems relevant!
        I’ll keep my eyes peeled for the interview, Debbi: can you flag it up for me?
        Now … Remind me to mention Dread Zeppelin at some point!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1955

Q2) Moonlighting

Q3) 1988

Q4) The Sixth Sense (I don’t think the director has ever lived up to the promise of this one, but...)

Q5) Looper (I quite enjoyed this one, but I know I’ve mentioned Joseph Gordon-Levitt before).
Oh, I remember Architecture and Morality and I am sure I had the vinyl at the time when it came out here. (My parents didn't keep any of the old records though, and I am not sure I would have myself, as taking them to the UK wasn't a very practical option).
Yes, let's hope they do give your request due consideration. Sometimes I think they rely on people getting fed up and giving up. (War of attrition, I guess).
I am not sure if I've ever told you about a pretty weird situation I found myself in, regarding institutions and paperwork. I was working as a psychiatrist in Sheffield, and there are different types of memberships you can apply for at the Royal College of Psychiatry. You must have passed the membership exam to become a full member, but you can join as a student as well, while you are doing your training, and even if you step away from the training but you are working in psychiatry you can also be an Associate as well (checking now, it seems there are many more options than there were when I was still working in the UK... I wonder). I had passed part 1 of the exam (at the time there were 2 parts), but then left the profession and moved on to study other things. When I eventually went back, after some time working in the private sector I decided to apply to do the second part of the exam, after complying with their requirements (more paperwork, you'd be surprised to here), and I passed part 2 of the exam. But, to be able to become a full member I needed to have completed six months of training in child and adolescent psychiatry (or learning disabilities), but I'd never worked on that (well, a few weeks as a locum), and there wasn't any other option. To be able to fulfill my ongoing training and education requirements, I had to be registered with the Royal College somehow, but I seemed to fall between the two categories. I wrote and enquired, and pestered, and wrote again, and eventually, when a new president of the college was elected, he decided to give me the membership and be done with it. Of course, I had to pay the fees nonetheless, but it was a result, I guess. (I didn't want the membership itself, but I wanted to be able to record the activities I was doing, otherwise I wouldn't be allowed to work).
The prices are getting ridiculous here. To add to the pain, the lorry drivers (some lorry drivers) have decided to go on strike (well, they say they are working at a loss because of the price of the fuel), and are blocking the main roads, etc, so products are not getting through, and producers are seeing their vegetables, fruit, milk, etc, spoil... A mess. They want the government to reduce the taxes on fuel, energy, etc, but the government insists they are waiting to see what the EU decides to do as a group. (A good excuse, or a bad one, if you ask me)

Freda said...

1 1952 2 Moonlighting 3 1988
4 Sixth Sense 5 Moonrise Kingdom

Debbi said...

I'll try to remember.

Did I ever show you this? :)

https://debbimackblogs.com/book-reviews/my-review-of-doctor-who-a-history/

1. 1955
2. Moonlighting
3. 1988
4. The Sixth Sense
5. Looper

Nik Nak said...

Just as a follow up for this set?

Bruce Willis has announced he’s retiring: as he’s gone down with aphasia.

I can only wish Bruce well.