Sunday, 31 January 2010

The Daily Teaser …

Hmmmm …

Isn’t it funny how it takes you a while to wake up on a Sunday morning?

Unless — like me — you did yourself a chilli, the night before.

You do feel the need to get up suddenly, sometimes, you really do.

Ah HEM!

Let’s leave that right there, shall we?

Yes, lets …

Yesterday’s teaser saw Andy — the FSG Drone, himself — manage to get the Official First-in-Clap, and 7out of 7!

Go, Andy!

So let’s see what people can do, with today’s questions, shall we?

Yes, let’s.

Here they are, along with the License and ‘How To’ …

Q1) Very appropriate, this one: 31st January, 1747, saw the London Lock Hospital open: what did it specialise in treating?


Q2) 31st January, 1983, saw a law introduced in the UK, that made compulsory to wear … ?


Q3) 17 years later, 31st January, 2000, saw who sentenced to life imprisonment?


Q4) 31st January, 1983, saw the birth of actor, James Sutton: in which British soap did he first come to prominence?


Q5) 377 years earlier, 31st January, 1606, saw the execution of which plotter?


Q6) And finally … 31st January, 1929, saw the Soviet Union exile which politician?


And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 30th January, 1649, saw the execution of which English king?

A1) Charles 1st. (Who — as Charles the Martyr — is the only saint canonised by the Church of England after it split from Rome. This day in 1661, also saw, as Andy pointed out, the execution — by beheading — of Oliver Cromwell. Andy’s right, the Scots, as a whole, generally really don’t hold a grudge … )


Q2) 299 years later, 30th January, 1948, saw the assassination — by a Hindu extremist — of which Indian leader?

A2) Mohandas K. ‘Mahatma’ Gandhi. (‘Mahatma’ — महात्माis a Sanskit word, meaning ‘Great Soul’.)


Q3) 30th January, 1972, saw 13 people killed in a civil rights protest in Londonderry: how is this incident more notoriously known?

A3) Bloody Sunday.


Q4) 30th January, 1913, saw the House of Lords reject a bill on … what?

A4) Irish Home Rule.


Q5) 123 year’s earlier, 30th January, 1790, saw the first official testing of a lifeboat: on which English river?

A5) The River Tyne.


Q6) 57 years after that, the Californian town of Yerba Buena renamed … what?

A6) San Francisco.


Q7) And finally … today in 1969 saw the last public performance by which band … ?

A7) The Beatles.


Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later!

1 comment:

  1. Q1)Venereal disease
    Q2) Seatbelts (for drivers and front seat passengers)
    Q3) Everyone's dream GP, Dr Harold Shipman.
    Q4) One I definitely wouldn't have got without Google - Hollyoaks
    Q5) Guy Fawkes
    Q6) Leon Trotsky. Whatever happened to etc, etc
    "My father warned me about men and booze, but he never mentioned a word about women and cocaine." - tallulah Bankhead d.1968

    ReplyDelete

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.