
Hmmm …
You know, there’s times when movie night can’t half generate a lot of …
Well …
I was going to say hot air.
But to be fair to myself, Movie Night Adrian, and Kevin, all at my place, tonight, to catch a film … ?
Let’s call it discussion, shall we … ?
And slightly odd text messaging. The three of us happened to briefly discuss Hannibal Rising, at the end of tonight’s movie: only for Kevin D to text me, once he’d got home, to tell me that the film version was on.
Mild piece of synchronicity, I think …
At any rate, I’ve got to admit, the three of us had quite a bit of nattering over what to watch, tonight.
But eventually settled for a little something that Adrian had managed to extract from Brentwood Library.
The 2009, Chris Hartwill directed, Sven Hughes/Malachi Smyth written, Ghost Machine.
Which is where things get debatable.
Possibly.
Can I offer you an observation, there … ?
Something I’ve noticed is that a good film generally gets the three of us agreeing that it’s a good film: even if we’s found different things enjoyable about it.
We’re generally the same with a bad film: indeed, the half time natter will be about anything but the film of the evening.
Where it get’s debatable … ?
Is where we can’t agree if a film is good or bad, and if, so, why it’s good or bad.
Or even what makes for a valid comparison.
I’m thinking that’s what we’ve got with Ghost Machine …
Oh, boy, did we EVER!
Ghost Machine sees Sean Faris, Luke Ford, Jonathon Harden and Sam Corry as a group of friends who also work as technicians on a complex computer virtuality system used a a military training system: and friends, as friends with a shared interest in computer gaming, can’t resist … ahh … ‘borrowing’ some of the kit, and taking it to an abandoned prison to … try out … !
Ahem … !
You can tell it’s going to go pear-shaped, can’t you … ?
»»»~«««
Now, can I make a confession, here … ?
I know Ghost Machine has had quite a few iffy — if not downright bad — reviews.
And certainly, it saw Adrian, Kevin and I discussing exactly what made for logical and illogical plot points!º
Personally, though … ?
I know it’s one I found entertaining, if not stunning.
Granted, the characters could have been a touch more memorable — or better drawn — and certainly the blurb on the back of the box could have been a touch more accurate — I’m wondering if the blurb writer had actually watched the film — but there were one of two points of interested.
I think we all agreed that the effects were nicely done.
And the basic concept — a dead terrorist, haunting the prison she’d been killed in, and hacking into a computer system from beyond the grave to extract revenge* — was fairly sound.
Personally … ?
I’m thinning this is watchable.
So long as you don’t expect too much.
★★☆☆
«««~»»»
* Certainly the idea of the minds and personalities of the dead occupying some sort of computer system has been around for a long time: I know it’s a central point in 1970s-era Dr Who, where the Time Lord’s Matrix system is used to store the personalities of dead Time Lords. And William Gibson’s Mona Lisa Overdrive has the main villain — Lady 3Jane Tessier-Ashpool — trying out something similar.
º Bog standard Gamer behaviour, immunity to virtuality, and whether those helmet’s should or shouldn’t have throat-mikes. All fun stuff to mention. And how to politely, throw popcornª at the screen.
ª Or Dairy Co-op toffees and peanut M&Ms, in our case^ …
^ Oh, so you know … ? This is a pointless footnote. You can tell it’s late, can’t you … … ?
No comments:
Post a Comment
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.