Wednesday 29 September 2010

The Daily Teaser …

Oh, thank Heavens for that … !

I think I can effectively say that Yesterday have absolutely nowt on features Mock Bananas, or any other kind of food.

Nope, Dan Snow’s doing a documentary on Emperor Hadrian.

Including mentioning what was was the world’s more exclusive toilet, at his villa in Tivoli.

In one end …

Lets get moving on, shall we … ?

Before we go anywhere near the phrase ‘toilet humour’ …

»»»•«««

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Trevor and Kaiju putting their answers: with Trevor putting in some quotes from Edwin Hubble, and Kaiju being as surprised as I was about mock bananas, it saw both of them scoring 5 out of 5.

Lets see how they — and you — do with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License
Q1) 29th September sees the Feast of Saint Michæl and All Angels: name any of the other Arch Angels it celebrates.


Q2) 29th September, 1829, saw the founding of the Metropolitan Police, in London: what was the name of the British Secretary who saw the relevant bill through the Houses of Parliament?

Q3) 29th September, 2007, saw the demolition of the world’s first commercial nuclear powered: what was it called?

Q4) 29th September, 1911, saw Italy declare war on which empire … ?

Q5) And finally … 29th September, 1973, saw the death of poet W. H. Auden: which of his poems was quoted in Four Weddings and a Funeral … ?
And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …
Q1) 28th September, 1779, saw who elected as the US President … ?

A1) Samuel Huntington.

Q2) 28th September is the feast day of which rather Christmassy Bohemian Saint … ?
A2) Saint Wenceslaus.

Q3) 28th September, 2008, saw SpaceX launch the first private spacecraft to go into space: what was it called … ?
A3) The Falcon 1.

Q4) 28th September, 1971, saw the UK Parliament pass the Misuse of Drugs Act 1971: this banned the medicinal use of which drug?
A4) Cannabis.

Q5) And finally … 28th September, 1958, saw the government of France ratify a new … what … ?
A5) Constitution.
Enjoy those, everyone. I’ll catch you later. After I’ve recommended a film to you …







2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q1 Gabriel & Raphael
Q2 Sir Robert Peel, 2nd Baronet
Q3 Calder Hall
Q4 Ottoman Empire
Q5 "Funeral Blues" or "Stop all the clocks"

Trevor

“I'm not a traditional politician, and I have a sense of humor. I'll try to soften it and become boring, maybe even very boring, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to.”

“If I, taking care of everyone's interests, also take care of my own, you can't talk about a conflict of interest.”

“Only I can turn this country around.”

“The link between my experience as an entrepreneur and that of a politician is all in one word: freedom.”

“The political tradition of ancient thought, filtered in Italy by Machiavelli, says one thing clearly: every prince needs allies, and the bigger the responsibility, the more allies he needs.”

“I was never convinced that war was the best system to bring democracy to the country.”

Quotes by Silvio Berlusconi (Prime Minister of Italy) born 29 September 1936

Kaiju said...

1. Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, and Uriel. (Only Michael is named in the Bible, btw.)
2. Tory Sir Robert Peel
3. Calder Hall towers at Sellafield in Cumbria
4. Ottoman Empire
5. "Funeral Blues."

No quote. But how about W. H. Auden's poem?

W. H. Auden


Stop all the clocks, cut off the telephone,
Prevent the dog from barking with a juicy bone,
Silence the pianos and with muffled drum
Bring out the coffin, let the mourners come.

Let aeroplanes circle moaning overhead
Scribbling on the sky the message He Is Dead,
Put crepe bows round the white necks of the public doves,
Let the traffic policemen wear black cotton gloves.

He was my North, my South, my East and West,
My working week and my Sunday rest,
My noon, my midnight, my talk, my song;
I thought that love would last for ever: I was wrong.

The stars are not wanted now: put out every one;
Pack up the moon and dismantle the sun;
Pour away the ocean and sweep up the wood.
For nothing now can ever come to any good.