Tuesday 3 May 2011

The Politics Of Libraries ...

You know, I've got to admit, the kitchen table isn't necessarily the best place to write a blog post, is it ... ?

Especially when you consider that the height of the table relative to the height of the chair isn't exactly a good match.

But as Bruce - capable multimedia box of tricks that he is - is currently exporting the next few days Teaser slideshows, whilst playing some songs in iTunes, and juggling three active chainsaws in his other USB ports ...

I thought I'd use Archie to write this post up ...

I think he's struggling, but game: after all, Archie - a Dell C800, running Xubuntu 10.10 - was designed back when 20 gigabytes was a BIG hard drive for a laptop ...

But, at any rate, that's not quite what I was going to mention ...

‹♦›

First off ... ?

I'm blowed if I can remember if I told you or not, but Councillor Chilvers asked me if I minded being quoted on the local Lib Dem's newsletter.

As it was her ... ?

Of course I didn't.

Well, that newsletter is now out ... !

Here's the quote I gave her for it ...

"I know I've expressed my reservations with the Lib-Dems at a national level: however, locally, Karen and the rest of the team are the only ones I've seen to not only a) help residents on a one to one basis, b) notify us residents on stuff that directly affects us - the Saint James road planning application is a great example - and c) - and most importantly - knocked on our doors to actually ask how councillors can help".

I think I can honestly say I still stand by that.

The local Lib Dems are the only party, locally, to do that!

Lets move on, shall we ... ?

Yes, lets ...

‹♦›

Something I thought I'd chase up - while I was in Brentwood Library, scanning that leaflet in - was whether the copy of Debbi's book, Identity Crisis had actually turned up.

After all, it has been a while: about a month, after all, if I've got the dates right.

Guess what ... ?

It hasn't ...

Hmmm ...

I was a touch put out, to say the least.

The first thing I did ... ?

Was obvious, really.

Ask a librarian.

According to the lady I asked, there's usually a delay between the warehouse despatching a book - or a set of books, as she rightly pointed out that these things are usually done in comparatively big batches - a library actually getting them, and the book concerned hitting their shelves.

Her suggestion ... ?

Was a fair one, under the circumstances.

Come back in another week, and see if it had turned up.

I think I will.

After all, I've been looking forward to this, ever since Debbi started commenting, here ...

1 comment:

Debbi said...

OMG! That is so cool! Thanks for putting up that image of the catalog. Awesome! :-D

Please let me know when you finally get your hands on the book. I'm on pins and needles. :)