Thursday, 9 March 2017

Stranger Things: Episode 1 and 2 — Chapter One: The Vanishing of Will Byers and Chapter Two: The Weirdo on Maple Street

9th March, 2017

You know, last night?

Last night I have to confess: I watched Nosferatu.

The old German silent film?

Generally considered a masterpiece: but one I felt unimpressed by.

I might have to give it another go, at some point.

When I’m a little less tired, perhaps.

On a night like tonight, in other words.

Well, I could’ve done.

I didn’t.

I thought I should maybe catch up with some of the TV shows I’ve had sitting around in my collection, and assorted wish lists.

Frankly?   I seriously fancied series 2 of Mr Robot: as I was impressed by the first series.

I’ve ALSO got the first five series of American Horror Story.

But really didn’t fancy running a (metaphorical) marathon.

Even thought at last one old friend tells me it’s worth watching.

No … I fancied going lightweight: after the Sturm und Drang of Mr Robot.


I fancied … Winona Ryder … an 1980s setting … kids on bicycles … Netflix … !

I fancied … 


~≈♜≈~

Chapter 1 — The Vanishing of Will Byers — by introducing us to Will (Noah Schnapp): a youngster living in the small town of Hawkins, Indiana, leaving a friend’s house after an especially riveting game of Dungeons and Dragons.

Only to not get home, by morning.

Sending his mother, Joyce — Winona Ryder — frantically heading to local police chief, Jim Hopper — David Harbour — to report her youngest son as missing.

Meanwhile, Will’s three friends, and fellow players — Mike, Dustin and Lucas, played by Finn Wolfhard, Gaten Matarazzo and Caleb McLaughlin — decide to try and find him.

Only to find a mysterious called calling herself Eleven, seemingly lost in the woods.

Chapter 2 — The Weirdo on Maple Street — shows us what happens when Mike decides to hide Eleven — Millie Bobby Brown — only for he and the gang to find eleven’s got a Few tricks up her sleeve.

Chapter 2 tells us something else: that the mysterious Eleven is being hunting by a team of heavies led by Dr Brenner: played by Matthew Modine.

And that the missing Will is desperately trying to phone his mother, Joyce.

Only to leave Joyce in hysterics, when the phone … blows up … 

And the lights … trip

~≈♜≈~

Now … was I impressed by the first two episodes of Stranger Things?

Very much so, actually.

This is a piece whose ensemble cast work well together, with the younger cast members shining — but not overwhelming — the cast, and whose older members experience works very well.

The writing’s well done, as well: giving each member of the cast — even the minor ones who only last an episode — enough depth and background to shine.

There’s scares there: and enough funny moments to lighten the mood, before introducing some of The darker touches.

Over all?

I can see why people are making a fuss about this series.

With Stranger Things, Netflix have another hit on their hands.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.