Saturday 5 August 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 5-8-2017

Right, here we go … 

I’ve got a long weekend ahead!

Officially?

I’m on a 12-10, today, and a 10-5, tomorrow.

You can bet what-ever body-part you have spare?

That I’m not going to a lot of sleep!

~≈Á≈~

Hmmm … 

I tend to take an interest in technology news.

But am very aware that security researcher, Marcus Hutchins, has been arrested: on charges of making and distributing malicious software.

Whilst at the Def Con security conference.

Apparently, he’s admitted that he’s created software capable of stealing bank account details.

~≈Á≈~

There’s possibly a lot to say, there.

From the little I know?   From the little I know, most cyber-security researchers spend time in some very strange places: in order to find out how malicious hackers work.

And that they ALSO write malicious software: they kind of have to, to understand how it works, and used.

Personally?

I’m thinking the USA has made one heck of a mistake,

Especially as Hutchins is the man who single-handedly stopped the WannCry ransomware.

Go figure!

~≈Á≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, Licence and video … 

Q1) The first English colony in North America was establish by Sir Humphrey Gilbert: on 5th August, 1583.   Where was it: Newfoundland and Labrador, Virginia or South Carolina?
Q2) 5th August, 1975, saw the UK’s Forestry Commission announce what was spreading: English Oak Syndrome, Dutch Elm Disease or Belgian Pine Pestilence?
Q3) 5th August, 1926, saw who stay underwater for a record 91 minutes?
Q4) Three people were killed in an attack on a Greek airport: on 5th August, 1973.   Attack and airport, were in which Greek city?
Q5) Finally?   Which South African politician was jailed on 5th August, 1962?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) Japan decided to use its flag as a naval ensign, on 4th August, 1854.   The flag depicts a red disc on what colour background?
A1) White.
Q2) 4th August, 2007, saw the launch of the Phoenix probe: by NASA.   What planet was the probe heading for?
A2) Mars.
Q3) Mount Asama erupted: on 4th August, 1783.   Asama is in which Asian nation?
A3) Japan.
Q4) Which member of the Royal Family celebrated her 100th birthday: on 4th August, 2000?
A4) The Queen Mother.
Q5) Finally … 4th August, 1968, saw the birth of comedian, Lee Mack.   He’s co-wrote, and starred in, which BBC1 sit-com?
A5) Not Going Out.
As today is the birthday of MaCoy’s frontman, Rick Derringer?   I give you … 


And a thought …
“Houston, Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed.”
Neil Armstrong‡, August 5, 1930 – August 25, 2012.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.



*        I think it’s wait and see on the lightbulb, Olga: I tried with several bulbs, with no result, and think the fitting’s at fault.   Glasses-wise?   The part’s in!   I’m going to head in on Monday!   (They say “You should’ve gone to Specsavers.”   The trouble is, I did: I think that’s why the arm fell off!)

†        Hmmmm … comedians called Mack … We’ll have to see!   If he ever does an episode of Who Do You Think You Are, Debbi, I’ll let you know!

‡        I still think that, with the death of both Armstrong, and Muhammed Ali, the US lost two genuine heroes.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Newfoundland and Labrador
Q2) Dutch Elm Disease
Q3) Harry Houdini
Q4) Athens
Q5) Nelson Mandela
Will they be open on Monday? I'm not sure how much I'll connect next week, at least from Tuesday when my friend arrives. Don't work too hard!

Debbi said...

Mack is actually a shortened version of MacAloon. My great-grandfather on my Dad's side was an actor who emigrated (sp?) from Ireland who was in the Broadway version of "Abie's Irish Rose". Mack was his stage name and it stuck! :) He also wrote the song "Heart of My Heart" that's referred to in this song: https://youtu.be/gW08vy3dMC8 Honest!

1. Newfoundland and Labrador
2. Dutch Elm Disease
3. Houdini
4. Athens
5. Nelson Mandela