Q1)Alsace Lorraine was annexed by Nazi Germany: on 7th August, of which year?
Q2)Cao Qin attempted to stage a coup: on 7th August, 1461. In which country?
Q3)Lynne Cox became the first woman to swim from the US to the USSR: on 7th August, 1987. She did so by swimming across which straits?
Q4)The US Mint introduced a new 1 cent piece: on 7th August, 1959. The penny featured what on the reverse: a shield, the Lincoln Memorial or George Washington?
Q5)Finally … the Explorer 6 satellite was launch: on 7th August, 1959. What was examining: the Moon, Earth or Venus?
Q1)Wilhelmina became the first ruling queen to address both Houses of the US congress: on 6th August, 1942. Wilhelmina was queen of where: Spain, Germany or the Netherlands?
Q5)Finally … which distinctly non-Italian American band played their farewell gig: on 6th August, 1996?
A5)TheRamones. (Have a tune … https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZLlLtSG7xe4)
Here’s a song or three from the late Stan Freberg …
And a thought from a noted comedian …
“You can imagine, armed with this philosophy , how full of myself I now became. Even when I hadn't had the secret of human history in my grasp I had been a mouthy little bastard in class. Now I was unstoppable.”
Alexei Sayle, born 7th August, 1952.
Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.
Have a good day.
* Morning, Tim: been a little while, hasn’t it … ? (Neterlands? OK, I know what you mean … )
† Always a good idea, Olga. An ex and I always used heard for Lakeside, when we had the chance: the shopping’s good, but crowded. And as for the parking … ! And, yes, the commute could be easier: it’s not so much distance, as the fact there’s no direct train: I have to change halfway through. Miss one connection … (Good luck with that exam!)
‡ In a Gadda Da Vida^, you mean, Debbi? I’ve got it on in the background, now you mention it. It’s very Doorsy, I know that: sort of The End meets Roadhouse Blues! (Was your relative the drummer? It’s the fact he looks blond that’s got me asking … )
Q1) 1940 Q2) China Q3) Bering Q4) the Lincoln Memorial Q5) Earth Thanks and I hope you get the glasses back today (or soon). Oh, the exam is not for me. It's for the students. It is all automated, but they need a proctor and... well, I expect to get messages from them if things go wrong, although I don't have anything to do with the technical side of things. And with my friends here I won't have that much time to check. Hopefully, everything will be OK. Not sure when I'll be able to catch up. Have a great week. (Oh, I watched Train to Busan yesterday and really enjoyed it).
I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?
I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.
Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.
Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.
If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.
Thank you.
* I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.
† Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.
Q1) 1940
ReplyDeleteQ2) China
Q3) Bering
Q4) the Lincoln Memorial
Q5) Earth
Thanks and I hope you get the glasses back today (or soon). Oh, the exam is not for me. It's for the students. It is all automated, but they need a proctor and... well, I expect to get messages from them if things go wrong, although I don't have anything to do with the technical side of things. And with my friends here I won't have that much time to check. Hopefully, everything will be OK. Not sure when I'll be able to catch up. Have a great week. (Oh, I watched Train to Busan yesterday and really enjoyed it).
Yes, that's the song! And it was Doug Ingle. He has brown hair--like mine, actually, without, um, help from a bottle! :)
ReplyDeleteHere's his Wikipedia entry! https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doug_Ingle
1. 1940
2. China
3. the Bering Strait
4. the Lincoln Memorial
5. Earth