Friday 22 December 2017

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22nd December, 2017.

That’s a thought … 

Have you seen this lot … ?


That’s every Teaser I’ve done for the 22nd December.

Notice something?

No themed Teasers!

I’m blowed if I know why I’ve not managed to do a themed set for the day … 

But I haven’t … 

Weird!

~≈Â≈~

How many ill people are there in China?

Because I was at work last night: at a call centre in Chelmsford, that takes calls for (mostly) social landlords.

We ALSO take out of hours calls for the Greater London Authority.

Usually, we get journalists phoning up to get a quote from the Mayor, or various bodies on the Greater London Assembly: we give they details

More rarely, we get the Metropolitan Police phoning up, with pass on details of security issues.

More commonly?   We get people phoning to ask about tickets for the New Year’s fireworks display.   Who get directed to the website.

Every so often, the GLA phone gets real oddities.

Last night, I got one of them.

From a woman in China.   Phoning up at what must have been quite an early time in the morning, Beijing time.

And who asked me, quite politely and in all seriousness, to ask the Royal family to turn off their telescope.

It was making her flat smell.

I manage to persuade her to ring off, and contact her local authorities.  

I’m assuming the poor woman had mental health issues of some sort.

Even so … that was an odd one … 

~≈Â≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mr Strict*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga scoring five out of five, and Debbi and Mr S tying on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s unthemed questions, shall we?

Here that are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1) The Lockheed SR-71 first flew: on 22nd December, 1964.   The reconnaissance plane was also known as what: the blackbird, black ball or black eyed pea?
Q2) Which Berlin landmark was re-opened to the public: on 22nd December, 1989?
Q3) Nicolae Ceaușescu try to flee the capital of his country: after being overthrown on 22nd December, 1989.   Which country was Ceaușescu the dictator of?
Q4) J. Arthur Rank was born on 22nd December, 1888.   His film company’s symbol was a man playing a what?
Q5) Finally … 22nd December, 2003, saw a British hostage released by his captors.   They rebels from which South American country?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 21st December, 2017, is the shortest day of 2017.   Where: in the northern or southern hemisphere?
A1) The Northern Hemisphere.
Q2) As a result?   It’s what: the winter or summer solstice?
A2) The Winter solstice.
Q3) In some Christian traditions, the Solstice is marked as what colour of Christmas?
A3) A blue Christmas.
Q4) The City of Brighton marks the solstice by burning … what?
A4) Clocks.
Q5) Finally … ?   Yalda Night is a traditional holiday on the winter solstice.   It’s an old festival, where: Iran, Iraq or Kazakhstan?
A5) Iran.
Here’s a thought …
“They told me if I wanted to be a film star, I’d have to have my nose straightened and my teeth fixed, but I’ve never really wanted to be a film star - it seems to lead only to tax problems.”
Dame Peggy Ashcroft, 22 December 1907 – 14 June 1991.
And — as it’s the things birthday — a tune …





Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Nice to see you back on board, Mr S^: Happy Xmas, if we don’t see you before the big day … 

†        Got to admit, the regular postman we have’s pretty good about deliveries, Olga^: he usually makes sure we get stuff.   It’s Amazon I’ve had trouble with: not leaving stuff with the right neighbour.   Sheesh … !   As for Catalonia … ?   It sounds like you’ve got a mess on your hands … 

‡        Yeah, authors keep writing, Debbi^, it makes keeping up tricky!   (Really me saying Moorcock was influential on roleplaying games?   BIG influence on Dungeons and Dragons, back in the day.   I’ve just had a look at the old basic set on Amazon.   Sheesh.   Again!)

^        The English language has one less letter at Christmas.   Yep: it’s got no ‘L’.   Sorry, sorry … !

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The blackbird
Q2) The Brandenburg Gate
Q3) Romania
Q4) A gong
Q5) Colombia
Why makes things easy when you can make them complicated? (I mean about Catalonia. What's pretty clear is we can't stand the party in the Spanish government). I have taken to asking them to drop in one of the places where one can go and pick it up if I'm not sure I'll be at home. I'm forever picking up parcels for others when I'm at home, and neighbours are quite good, but I think when it's apartments and in bigger places, it might be more complicated.

Debbi said...

I barely made it here. My computer's slo-o-w today! I'm up-to-date on updates, so I don't know what that's about. *sigh*

1. the blackbird
2. Brandenburg Gate
3. Romania
4. gong (?)
5. Colombia