Monday 9 April 2018

Thelma: Am I Convinced … ?

8th April, 2018.


Yeah … 

That little opener’s one for the books, isn’t it … ?

Maybe I should try and clarify, here: shouldn’t I?

My name’s Paul, if you didn’t know.

I work in a call centre inChelmsford, I blog — the Daily Teasers are getting some attention — and, occasionally?

I’ve a bad habit of telling you about TV shows I’ve watched … and movies I’ve rented/seen.

Oh, and occasionally music.

I’ve got Into Battle with the Art of Noise, by the Art of Noise, on in the background.





Which is definitely an interesting listen: especially the Diversion Zero mix of Beat Box.   Quite different to the version on Whose Afraid (of the Art Of Noise).

At ANY rate … ?

I’ll watch or listen to stuff.

THEN tell people about it.

Tonight … ?

Tonight, I’ve rented Thelma, from iTunes.

And I’m not convinced it’s a winner.

~≈§≈~

Thelma sees title character Thelma (Eili Harboe) moving to Oslo to start her university course.

She soon makes new friends: AND falls in love with Anja (Kaya Wilkins), something her religious upbringing gives her guilty feelings about.

Not long after she first meets Anja, though?



Not long after that first meeting, Thelma starts having fits.

Fits that get increasingly worse … and come with increasingly surreal visions.

It’s only when Thelma has one in a swimming pool, along with the vision of being unable to get to the pool’s surface, she realises hospital treatment would be the thing.

Which is where she starts to realise her family?   Aren’t as nice as she thought.

~≈§≈~

Now … 

Not convinced … ?



Yes, “Not convinced,” is a good way of expressing things.

You see, while I felt this is nicely acted, well written, very atmospheric?



I also felt the opening half of Thelma film was very slowly paced: something that almost, but not quite, had me turning off.



I’m glad I didn’t, eventually.



Once we’d got past the swimming pool scene, Thelma started to jog along at a good pace.

On the whole?

I just wish Thelma first half was as pacy as the last.

Thelma
★☆☆☆

No comments: