Friday 15 June 2018

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th June, 2018

15th June, 2018.


Yep: I’ve actually not just got tomorrow off: but Sunday, too.

It means … ?   I’ve got the weekend off!

The first one I’ve taken voluntarily … 

For some time.

Frankly?

I’m looking forward to it!

~≈§≈~

While I’m here … ?

I’m on Universal Credit: a government benefit that’s claimed by many, and designed to replace many others.

I get it?   To help with my rent.

I’ve ALSO felt it’s badly handled.

The benefits it replaces?   Were paid fortnightly.   Universal Credit?   Monthly.

When I was fully unemployed?   Monthly pay is something I know I struggled with: especially after a lifetime of weekly and fortnightly pay.

Granted, right now?   I’m doing ok, so far.

But when I went onto it?

It took quite some time to get payment.

Today?

The National Audit Office has ALSO criticised the thing.

Arguing that it’s more expensive than the benefits it’s replacing.

And … ?

That late payment’s an issue for many people.

Personally?

I’m glad someone agrees with me!

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga* and Debbi† putting in their answers: with both scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1) 15th May, 1996, saw a bomb injure some two hundred people injured in an explosion in central Manchester.   Who took credit for the bomb: ISIS, ETA or the Provisional IRA?
Q2) The world’s first hovercraft show opened: on 15th June, 1966.   The companies at the show benefit from £1 million pound’s worth of orders.   From whom: the Ministry of Defence, the Ministry of Transport or the Board of Trade and Industry?
Q3) 15th June, 1330, saw the birth of Edward of Woodstock: eldest son of Edward 3rd.   Edward was known as the what Prince?
Q4) 15th June, 1949, saw the birth of actor, writer, musician, and director, Simon Callow.   He’s appeared as a well known writer in Dr Who.   Which writer?
Q5) Jean-Philippe Léo Smet was born on 15th June, 1943.   He was better known as which French pop star?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1) 14th June, 1381, saw the leaders of the Peasants Revolt, met the king.   Which King?
Q2) More to the point, they met him, were: Mile End, Bethnal Green or Stratford?
A2) Mile End.
Q3) Congressman Steve Scalise was shot: on 14th June, 2017.   Whilst practising what?
A3) Baseball.
Q4) A block of flats caught fire: on 14th June, 2017.   What was that block called?
Q5) Finally … 14th June, 1961, saw the UK government announce it would be replacing zebra Crossings … with what … ?
Here’s a thought …
“I’m not really an activist, although I am aware that there are some political acts one can do that actually make a difference and I think my coming out as a gay man was probably one of the most valuable things I’ve done in my life.”
Simon Callow, born 15th June, 1949.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Have a good day.




*        Yep, I saw the link, Olga: I think a friend’s got a copy I may have to borrow!   And wish your friend well, for me, please.   I’m not getting as many tests as I was … but it’s still unnerving to go through them!   And I know EXACTLY where you’re coming from on the manoeuvring front: we get the same thing, here, in the few carparks we’ve got.   Whether something can be done?   I don’t know.   Part of the reason I’m annoyed at Brentwood Council’s planning committee?   Is simply that they approved the amount of parking spaces, without doing the maths!   (We’ve between three-quarters to four-fifths of a space each … )

†        I think you’d get my mother agreeing with you, Debbi: as he always thought he was rather dishy!  Speaking personally … he’s not my type!   :D   Hmmm … did you ever read Julian May’s Pliocene Saga of Exiles?   It’s one of those romps I think only a space opera fan could write.   The main villain of the last two books?   Is called Marc Remillard: I’ve been convinced McGoohan was the only actor who could play him, for years!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) The Provisional IRA
Q2) Ministry of Defence
Q3) The Black Prince
Q4) Charles Dickens (I saw him once in theatre playing Charles Dickens as well. I think he was on tour, because I remember I saw him in Sheffield. I would have loved to have seen him as Mozart in Amadeus but it was well before I was in the UK (and I was quite young at the time)
Q5) Johnny Hallyday
They were talking yesterday about parking on the telly here, and, of course, many of the private car parks do not adhere to the rules about the size of the parking spots. Cars are getting bigger so they won't fit in some of the older spaces. (I keep seeing ads for private car parking spots and they always say for small cars. That is always going to be a problem in a city where even the buildings that have parking spaces have become too small, but there's no excuse for poor planning in newly built areas. Perhaps when the cars start parking and driving themselves, although...
Do let me know if you get to read the book. And thanks. Unfortunately, my friend's husband suffered DVT (deep vein thrombosis) and although he is receiving treatment, unfortunately, it repeated again and now he collapsed and badly twisted his ankle. They are not sure if the collapse is related to the same problem but they have to check (and he needs an operation for his ankle).
I hope you enjoy your weekend off.

Debbi said...

Interesting! I was so sad when McGoohan died. And so disgusted when they did that awful remake of The Priaoner!

1. the Provisional IRA
2. the Ministry of Defence
3. the Black Prince
4. Charles Dickens
5. Johnny Hallyday