Thursday 14 October 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14th October, 2021.

14th October, 2021.


Hmmm … 

You’ll remember that I’m job hunting, at the moment: and, like many of us … ?

Claiming Universal Credit: the main unemployment benefit for non-working people.

Like many of us … ?

I benefited from the Uplift to Universal Credit: an extra twenty pounds per week that was introduced during the pandemic.

That got withdrawn, on 6th October.

It hasn’t been reinstated: and frankly, I doubt it ever will be.

However?

The Universal Credit site — the site where I have to keep a job hunting journal, and message my case worker — has now introduced an Uplift Button.

OK, doesn’t do much more that whinge about it: and possibly get budget help.

But it’s something.


~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Edith†, Mum‡, Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga, Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Roundhay Garden Scene was recorded: on 14th October, 1888.   It’s believed to be the world’s earliest serving what: film, CD or record?

Q2)        MP, Cecil Parkinson resigned his post: on 14th October of which year: 1982, 1983 or 1984?

Q3)        Éamon de Valera, former President of Ireland, was born on 14th October, 1882.   He first became president of Ireland in which year: 1958, 1959 or 1960?

Q4)        14th October, 1927, saw the birth of actor, Roger Moore.   In which spy series did he play Simon Templar?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Felix Baumgartner jumped from a balloon in the stratosphere, on 14th October, 2012.   He broke the sound barrier, and landed where: California, New Mexico or Nevada?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Mexico declared itself independent on 13th October, 1821: by publishing its Declaration of Independence.   Independent from where: Spain, the UK or Portugal?
A1)        Spain.

Q2)        At the time, Mexico was an empire.   Modern Mexico is a what: constitutional monarchy, federal republic or a city-state?
A2)        A federal republic.

Q3)        The Mexican Empire’s currency was the Mexican Real.   What’s modern Mexico’s currency: the peseta, peso or franc?
A3)        The Mexican peso.

Q4)        What’s modern Mexico’s capital city: Mexico City, Tijuana or Guadalajara?
A4)        Mexico City.

Q5)        Finally … ?   What’s Mexico’s national language: Spanish, English or Portuguese?
A5)        Spanish.
Here’s a thought … 
“I wanted to prepare a nice quiet job without too much work for my old age.”
Éamon de Valera, 14 October 1882 – 29 August 1975.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        I have to admit, it’s the first time I’ve heard of him, Olga: but, my word, Mr Sesto’s got one hell of a vocal range!   I’ll tell you one thing … the descending bass line, at about 1:50 to 2:15 … ?   Got me thinking of James Bond.   Mind you, I think it’s a common enough riff.
        Cost … what can I say, Olga: except I know exactly where you’re coming from.
        I have to confess, if someone mentions Guadalajara, I always think of Kirty McColl’s In These Shoes.   “I was sitting in a bar in Guadalajara …”.  (What?   The barman forgot to empty the ashtray … !   First thing I noticed in the video.)


        She sounds like quite a woman, Edith: you must miss her.
        (Oh, the song Olga posted, yesterday, may grab you.   I know it’s in Spanish, but the singer has quite a vocal range!   Sort of a Spanish equivalent to the lead singer of The Darkness.)


‡        Hello, Mum!

^        I’ll bet, Debbi!   At any rate, did you mean the original Graham Greene novel, or the Boulting Brothers film?   The 1947 one?   Because the character of Dallow is played by noted tough guy, William Hartnell: it’s the sort of role that was a mainstay for him.   (I have Web of Fear, the Second Doctor era story: Staff Sergeant Arnold is exactly the sort of character Hartnell would’ve played.   Tough, and cantankerous.)
        Actually, talking of recycling?   I’ve been watching the original TV version of Quatermass and the Pit: which is riveting watching.   Last night’s episode has Edward Burnham — Professor Travors in Invasion, and Professor Kettlewell from Robot — as a nameless official: and Dalek operator, John Scott Martin, as a cameraman!   Good grief, they look young!
        The series is practically the only surviving complete Quatermass series going and influenced Dr Who, quite a bit … (Think every UNIT story going, and throw in The Time Of Angels/Flesh and Stone … )

Edward Burnham

John Scott Martin


4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Film

Q2) 1983

Q3) 1959

Q4) The Saint (He remained ‘El Santo’ for my father throughout his career).

Q5) New Mexico
I'd forgotten that mention of Guadalajara! Great one! Yes, Camilo Sesto had quite the voice (he still sings, although I don't think his vocal range is what it was, but that's hardly surprising). So many people were saying that heavy metal had missed quite a trick with him! ;)
Oh, I hope the UPlift button ends up being of some use. I have to cover a pretty interesting sculpture exhibition this evening, for the radio.
Stay well.

Edith said...

1. Film
2. 1983
3. 1958
4. The saint
5. New Mexico.

Yes, I miss her but friends like you and Debbi and Ogla help.

Wow! The man can really sing.

Freda said...

1 Film
2 1984
3 1959
4 The Saint.
5 New Mexico

Debbi said...

I mention Hartnell in my review, actually. And I've read the book and reviewed the movie, this time.

1. film
2. 1983
3. 1959
4. The Saint
5. New Mexico

Richard Attenborough was amazing in it. Nasty and amazing! :)

And I have a teaser of my own on my blog for tomorrow. :) Someone gets alluded to. Hmm... :)