Thursday 21 October 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 21st October, 2021.

21st October, 2021.


It’s officially official: I’m going to have a busy day, tomorrow.

It’s payday: so I’ll need to pay my bills.

And I’ve actually got a face to face interview in the afternoon, in Romford.

For a seasonal job at well known card shop.

We’ll have to see how that goes.

~≈Â≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video

Q1)        After a Federal election, 21st October, 2019, saw Justin Trudeau become Prime Minister of where?   (It should be obvious: if you remember the family got a mention a few days ago.)

Q2)        The metre was re-defined on 21st October, 1984.   As the distance travelled by what, in a vacuum, in 1/299,792,458 of a second?

Q3)        21st October is feast day of Saint Asterius of Ostia. Ostia — or Ostia Antica — was the harbour for which ancient city: Ancient Rome, Byzantium or Troy?

Q4)        21st October, 1854, saw Florence Nightingale and her staff start their journey to a military hospital in Scurtari.   They were nurses during which war: the First World War, Crimean War or War of Jenkins Ear?

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st October, 1946, saw the birth of singer, Lux Interior.   He was the lead singer of which band: the Cramps, the Ramones or Iggy and the Stooges?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1)        20th October saw the birth of director Danny Boyle.   In which year of the 1950s?
A1)        1956.

Q2)        His 2008 film won eight Oscars.   That film was Slumdog … what?
A2)        Slumdog Millionaire.

Q3)        The first film Danny directed was released in 1994: it starred Ewan McGregor, Christopher Eccleston and Kerry Fox.   What was it called: The Beach, Shallow Grave or Millions?
A3)        Shallow Grave.

Q4)        Naomie Harris appeared in Danny Boyle’s 28 Days Later.   She’s appeared in recent Bond movies as whom: M, Q or Miss Moneypenny?
A4)        Miss Moneypenny.   (She was given the first name, ‘Eve,’ in Skyfall, but called ‘Jane,’ in The Moneypenny Diaries.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   Danny Boyle directed the opening ceremony of the 2012 Summer Olympics.   Those Olympics were held in which European city … ?
A5)        London.
Here’s a thought …
“Prediction is the business of prophets, clairvoyants, and futurologists. It is not the business of novelists. A novelist’s business is lying.”
From the introduction to The Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula K. LeGuin (October 21, 1929 – January 22, 2018).
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        The meeting went well enough, Olga: hopefully, I’ll be able to get the money back for tomorrow’s train fare.   (I have have To sit down with Shallow Grave, at some point!)
        Did you ever see any of the stone circles while you were here, Olga?   The last time I visited Stonehenge and Avebury was when I was about Jude’s age: and I’d love to go back, if I ever have the chance.   There’s some in France, as well, in a place called Carnac.   I think there’s a few standing stones in Spain, menhirs, as well: but don’t quote me on that!


        Hello, Mum!   (Has Anna still got the t-shirts?)

        Pretty much, Debbi.   Is it me or do US bands have it easy?   😆
        Those rings must have been quite a sight.   Did I mention my sister, Anna, was a Gamesmaker: the volunteers at the games?   She managed to see the rehearsals for the Paralympics opening and closing ceremonies: which were quite something.

7 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Canada

Q2) The Light (it was in 1983, at least according to Wikipedia and one of the sites relating information about what happened on a particular day)

Q3) Ancient Rome

Q4) Crimean War (it’s a bit odd, but neither question 2 nor this one appeared on the Wikipedia page for this date. I guess they change the content every so often...)

Q5) The Cramps (this one wasn’t listed either on the Wikipedia page. In fact, none of them were. I hadn’t checked the first one because I was sure of the answer, but no, that one isn’t there either). I guess you’re making things a bit more difficult, or they have revamped the page.
Good luck with the interview!
I never visited Stonehenge, although I wanted to go, but usually only remembered when it featured on the news at the right time of the year. Because I was doing a lot of locum work at some point, I always imagined I’d end up working somewhere near there, and I’d go visiting then (I used to visit around when I was anywhere), but it never happened.
There seem to be a few scattered around in Spain, mostly in the North, but I don’t recall ever seeing one, although I’d love to visit the ones in Menorca (even though more recent). I’ve visited Palma de Mallorca, many years back, but haven’t been to any of the other Balearic Islands.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taula

Freda said...

1 Canada
2 Vacumn
3 Rome
4 Crimea
5 The Cramps

Edith said...

1. Canada
2. A coin
3. Troy
4. First World War
5. The Cramps

Good luck with your Job interview.

Anonymous said...

Just so you know I have a busy day tomorrow. I may not be online.

Edith said...

I may not be online as I have a busy day tomorrow.

Nik Nak said...

OK: but is that you, Olga? Or Debbi? Or Edith … ?

Debbi said...

Hi! Present and accounted for! :)

1. Canada
2. light
3. Ancient Rome
4. Crimean War
5. the Cramps

Great quote by Ursula LeGuin! :)