Friday 22 October 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22nd October, 2021.

22nd October, 2021.


Right … 

I’ve officially got a busy day.

It’s payday: so I have to be in town.

I have an interview in the afternoon: in Romford!

I’m expecting a pest controller from my landlord: at some point this morning.

Quite when, I don’t know.

Oh … 

And I have to edit some videos … !

Oy … vey … !

~≈£≈~

I write this at 8:47.

Thankfully, the pest controller’s in, and laying some bait.

~≈£≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, Edith‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, Mum on four and Edith on two.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        22nd October, 1929, saw the birth of footballer, Lev Yashin.   He’s considered the greatest what in the history of the game: goalkeeper, prop or shortstop?

Q2)        Actor, Derek Jacobi, was born on 22nd October, 1938.   He played Claudius in the 1996 version of which of Shakespeare’s plays: Coriolanus, Hamlet, or A Midsummer Night’s Dream?

Q3)        The College of New Jersey was chartered on 22nd October, 1746.   The College of New Jersey is now called what: Princeton, Harvard or Yale?

Q4)        22nd October, 1811, saw the birth of composer, Franz Liszt.   If you’re Brahms and Liszt, you’re what: drunk, hungover or dead?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Britain’s biggest ever anti-nuclear missile protest: on 22nd October, 1983.   Who organised it: CND, Insulate Britain or the Church of the Illuminati?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        After a Federal election, 21st October, 2019, saw Justin Trudeau become Prime Minister of where?
A1)        Canada.   You have to give him credit for persistence.   Actually?   You have to give the family credit for persistence

Q2)        The metre was re-defined on 21st October, 1983.   As the distance travelled by what, in a vacuum, in 1/299,792,458 of a second?
A2)        Light.   (I meant to do that fraction as a lower third, in the video.   Never mind.)

Q3)        21st October is feast day of Saint Asterius of Ostia. Ostia — or Ostia Antica — was the harbour for which ancient city: Ancient Rome, Byzantium or Troy?
A3)        Ancient Rome.

Q4)        21st October, 1854, saw Florence Nightingale and her staff start their journey to a military hospital in Scurtari.   They were nurses during which war: the First World War, Crimean War or War of Jenkins Ear?
A4)        The Crimean War.   (The impression I’ve had?   Is that only part of her fame was due to her nursing and leadership skills.   The other part of it was inventing the pie chart: in other words, an easy way to understand what was killing British troops in hospital.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st October, 1946, saw the birth of singer, Lux Interior.   He was the lead singer of which band: the Cramps, the Ramones or Iggy and the Stooges?
A5)        The Cramps.
Here’s an observation …
“Brahms’ Variations are better than mine, but mine were written before his.”
Franz Liszt, 22 October 1811 – 31 July 1886.
And some music …


Horror directors must love Franz!

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        I think I’m going to need it, Olga: the last one didn’t go well, I’m afraid!
        Yep: Wikipedia does it again: as did I … !   (Lux Interior gets a mention in the Deaths section.)
        Wow … those taulas look unique: especially if you’re used to Stonehenge or Avebury.   The latter are far more … um … roughly cut, if you follow me … ?   Especially Avebury: some of them are almost diamond shaped.   If you do end up going … ?   I’d LOVE to see those stones!


        Hello, Mum!

        OK, Edith: we’ll see you when you’re back in.   Have a good day!   And cheers for The good wishes: I’m hoping it goes better than my last interview!

^        Nice to know you’re in, Debbi!   And you’re right: Ursula’s always good for a quote.   Saying that … ?   I’m reading Orwell’s Down and Out in Paris and Londonª, which is superb!
        Actually, this quote from Eric seemed relevant; 
“It appears to me that one defeats the fanatic precisely by not being a fanatic oneself, but on the contrary by using one's intelligence.”   George Orwell.

ª        I’m also reading Alan Moore’s collected Future Shocks, Debbi: remind me to rave about them!

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Goalkeeper

Q2) Hamlet (He is good at playing all kinds of Claudius)!

Q3) Princeton (I’ve visited Harvard, but none of the other big ones. MIT as well. Both well-worth a visit).

Q4) Drunk

Q5) CND
I'll keep your request for pics in mind if I go to Menorca. Thinking about it, a girl I studied Medicine with got a job as a consultant in Pneumology there, but that was many years back, and I haven't heard from her in years. I wonder if she's still there. She was telling me she found it difficult to get used to the more relaxed rhythm of life there, after living in Barcelona all her life (where everybody is always running around). It sounded as if "mañana" was pretty much adhered to there, even though they speak Catalan as well. It's possible to take a ferry to the Balearic Islands from here (and they are back in action again), although it is a bit of a long trip. You could go at night and just arrive there in the morning at some point, that is not a bad option either. (Much faster by plane, of course. Under an hour).
I hope you manage to juggle everything today, and I'll keep my fingers crossed for your interview (apart from when I go to edit the piece of the radio this afternoon). Good luck!

Freda said...

1 Goal keeper
2 Coriolanus
3 Yale
4 Drunk
5 CND

Edith said...

1. goalkeeper
2. Hamlet
3. Princeton
4. dead
5. Insulate Britan

Hi Paul. I hope your interview went well.

Debbi said...

Sounds like you got some interesting reading there.

1. goalkeeper
2. Hamlet
3. Princeton
4. drunk
5. CND