Friday 29 October 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 29th October, 2021.

29th October, 2021.


You know, it’s a Friday.

You can tell, can’t you?

Frankly, that means the day is — for me — exercise free, and not involving making videos.

So I’ve plenty of time to watch a film.

Whether I do or I don’t is a whole other thing.

But there’s certainly one I want to see.


~≈Ÿ≈~

Sometimes, coming home with shopping can be interested.

Especially when you can a phone call when you walk through the door with a couple of bags of shopping.

It turns out the manager of the local post office saw my application and wants to interview me on Monday.

At one.

Can someone remind me to put my shirts in the wash … ?

Cheers … !

~≈Ÿ≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Edith†, Mum‡ and Debbi^ putting in their answers: with Debbi and Mum scoring five out of five, and Olga and Edith on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        29th October is Coronation Day in Cambodia.   It marks King Norodom Sihamoni’s coronation, when: 2003, 2004 or 2005.

Q2)        Constantine 1st entered Rome, on 29th October, 312AD.   Constantine’s better know as Constantine the what?

Q3)        Sir Walter Raleigh was beheaded, on 29th October, 1618: after allegedly conspiring against the the monarch of England.   Who was that monarch: Elizabeth 1st, James 1st or Charles 1st?

Q4)        Winona Ryder was born on 29th October, 1971.   In which Francis Ford Coppola film does she play Mina Murray?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Convention of Constantinople was signed on 29th October, 1888.   It guaranteed free passage through what: the Panama Canal, the Suez Canal or the Dardanelles?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Chef, Auguste Escoffier was born on 28th October: of which year of the 1840s?
A1)        1846.

Q2)        He worked with hotelier, César Ritz. In which London hotel: the Savoy, the Hilton or Claridge’s?
A2)        The Savoy.   (Apparently?   The Savoy was the first to have en-suite bathrooms.   Very swish!)

Q3)        Escoffier codified the mother sauces, the basic sauces used in French cooking.   How many of these sauces are there: four, five or six?
A3)        Five: Béchamel, Espagnole, tomato, Velouté and Hollandaise.

Q4)        Escoffier’s credited with inventing the way kitchen staff are organised.   The system’s known in English as the kitchen what: squad, company or brigade?
A4)        Kitchen brigade.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Escoffier’s Le guide culinaire is one of the standard texts used to train chefs.   The word, ‘chef,’ translates into English as what: chief, cook or bottle washer?
A5)        Chief.
Here’s a thought … 
“I much prefer the stage.   Much.   But I also prefer being paid.   I like being paid as a screen actor but working on the stage.”
Richard Dreyfuss, born October 29, 1947.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.





*        I’m going to have to get strict on the score, there, Olga: if that’s OK … ?   I’ve linked to the section on the word’s etymology in my ‘official’ answer.   Plus, after many years in the industry — three pubs, and one hotel — I’m very aware that a chef and a cook are two different things.   It basically boils down to the qualifications: a chef’s got them, a cook doesn’t.   (Cindy, Sharonª and Irene were cooks I worked with.   All of them experienced and competent, but who didn’t have the qualifications Tom, Lorenzo, Rob and Norma, did.)
        I know I’m being picky: but it’s possibly as fine a distinction as the ones between psychologists and psychiatrists!
        And you’re right … politicians … !

        Cooking technology has, Edith!   There’s a lot more digital bits and bobs, I think.   Sometimes, though, all we need’s a saucepan!

        Hello, Mum!

^        I’ve done a little looking around, Debbi.   First things first, I don’t know if Option-starting Final Cut Pro will force it to build a new Library: but it might be worth trying.   I’ve also found this article from Larry Jordan: that lists some troubleshooting options.   There’s also this support page from Apple, themselves.   Both suggest pressing CMD and Option (⌘ and ⌥), to reset the preference.
        (Do you remember me mentioning .plist files, many years ago, Debbi?   And how dumping them can sometimes be helpful?   Pressing ⌘ and ⌥ looks like it does the same thing: dumps Final Cut Pro’s .plist file.)
        I know EXACTLY what you mean about file management!   I REALLY need to tidy up!

ª        I’ve just gone and looked at the posts I did around the time of Sharon’s death.   That was twelve years ago, now: she’s a much missed friend.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 2004

Q2) The Great

Q3) James 1st

Q4) Bram Stoker’s Dracula (I had forgotten all about this movie. I love some of his movies, but not so sure about this one).

Q5) The Suez Canal
Well, you asked for the translation, and many dictionaries translated it as "cook" rather than chief. Also, Psychologists have studies and a degree, it is just a different one. Psychiatrists have to study Medicine first and then specialize in Psychiatry, so we are medical doctors as well. Most Psychologists specialize also, and not all in mental health. Many don't do clinical work (some of them work for big companies working on staff selection, for example, others in education...). Saying that, I know exactly what you mean and I agree. Although I get the feeling that the qualifications that would turn somebody into a chef are very different in different places, and I'm not sure how well regulated it all is. One of my cousins is a chef, but he has worked in all kinds of places and even had a small snack bar of his own (well, with a partner, in the City, but that was a while back), but I'm not sure where he is at now. One of my neighbours in Penistone was also a chef, but I never thought of asking her where she had studied because she was working away when I moved there, and I didn't see her that much. She changed jobs quite often while I was living there (and we went to a couple of the places where she was working. All very nice, but pretty different).
Oh, good luck with your job interview for next week, just in case I forget. Oh, and don't forget to wash your shirts!

Freda said...

1 2004
2 The Great.
3 James 1st
4 Dracula
5 The Dardanelles

Edith said...

1. 2004
2. The Christan
3. Elizabeth the First
4. The Godfather Part two
5. Suez Canal


Remember to wash your shirts. Paul.

Debbi said...

Cheers for the assist, Paul! :)

1. 2004
2. Great (another Great)
3. James I
4. Bram Stoker's Dracula
5. the Suez Canal

I got blisters on me fingers! :) Not really.