Wednesday 27 October 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27-10-2021: The Streets Of Philadelphia

27th October, 2021.


Yes!

I’ve encountered a new thing.

Or, at least, new to me.

I had a dental checkup, yesterday.

As a result … ?

I’ve been given a prescription for six tubes of super-strong toothpaste.

That’s new to me.

~≈🧀≈~

OK: I said, yesterday, that I was going to be upgrading my computer’s operating system.

From macOS 11.6.1 Big Sur, to macOS 12.0.01 Monterey.

At some point in the next few days.

That was my intention, at any rate.

I changed my mind, after getting back from the dentist earlier than expected.

Just to summarise?

Downloading the Monterey installer took about an hour: it’s 12.13gb in size.   Something that would normally be quicker: but yesterday was only the second day of release so there was a lot of traffic on Apple’s servers.

I had to remove several large — but relatively unimportant — items from my machine: because of the thing’s size.

The upgrade process, itself?

Took about an hour and a half.

The new OS … ?

Does seemed to have made some improvements.

It looks like;
  • There’s more available space on my main drive as a result.
  • Disk Utility seems to be doing some more accurate reporting.
  • Accessing my Photos collection from the Media browser seems far more responsive.
  • QuickTime* has a couple of extra features that seem useful.
  • There’s a funky new wallpaper.
  • And a matching screen saver.
Monterey’s Default Wallpaper.


About the only downsides of the process?   Was the size of the installer: but to be fair, Monterey has got Intel and Apple Silicon code in it.

And the fact that my copy of iMovie hung, when opening in the new OS: something that was easily solved — my iMovie library was corrupted, so I had to dump it, and build a new one — but I could’ve done without.

On the whole, though?

I’m fairly pleased with the process And look forward to using Monterey.

~≈🧀≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga†, Edith‡, Mum^ and Debbiª putting in their answers: with Olga, Mum and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Edith on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        Philadelphia was founded: on 27th October of which year: 1682, 1683 or 1684?

Q2)        The city’s in which US state: New York, Pennsylvania or North Carolina??

Q3)        The Philly steak is a sandwich made with beef, covered in what: cheese, cabbage or chutney?

Q4)        Philadelphia’s John F. Kennedy Stadium host concerts.   Including the American end of which 1984 concert: Live Aid, Woodstock or the Elvis Comeback Special?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Fresh Prince of Bel is from West Philadelphia.   What’s his name: Will Smith, Tim Smith or Jim Smith?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        King Alfred died on 26th October, 899AD.   He was king of whom: the Anglo-Saxons, Danes or Mercians?
A1)        The Anglo-Saxons.

Q2)        He was part of the House of what: Essex, Wessex or Sussex?
A2)        The House of Wessex.

Q3)        According to one old legend, Alfred’s supposed have burnt a peasant woman’s what: washing, cakes or house?
A3)        Cakes.

Q4)        Alfred is known to have supported children being educated in which language: English or Latin?
A4)        English.   The version used at the time was what we now call Old English.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Ever since the 16th Century, Alfred’s been known as Alfred the what: Great, Good or Gorgeous?
A5)        Alfred the Great.
Here’s a thought … 
“I would rather be living in Philadelphia.”
W. C. Fields.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        QuickTime 7, and earlier, were basic Media players.   QT7 Pro, on the other hand, was a decent video editor.   QuickTime 10, the current edition?   Is a good media player: even if it can only play a few formats.   It does, however, have a few useful trimming, and exporting, features that are useful.   It’s long been able to export a video’s audio.   The new version in Monterey introduces the option to export just the video: that could be handy.

        I think they’re supposed to have been oatcakes, Olga: a bit like a thick tortilla.   Still, you’re right: monarchy and cakes … 
        I hope you’re right: those regulations could do with tightening, possibly.   Apparently, though?   There’s a Trump linked site selling novelty t-shirts that say “Guns don’t kill people, Alec Baldwin kills people.”   You couldn’t make it up …
        And I know what you mean about reviews: I’m going to be finishing the next Lovecraft Country episode, save up for the novel, plan a Dune review, do the notes for Dr Who series thirteen, come up with a Syrian cease-fire plan, run a marathon, do this thing, do THAT thing, run, jump, stand still … … … … … 
        
        I know, Edith: I wish I didn’t, though … !   It’s … well … I think some music would go down well, don’t you … ?


^        Hello, Mum!

ª        Yeah … we can always rely on Private Fraser, Debbi.   Or was it Frazer … ?   Zeds and esses, you have to love them!
        (Oh, the default wallpaper in Monterey’s good.   At least, it’s less eye straining than Big Sur’s!)
        

4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1682

Q2) Pennsylvania

Q3) Cheese

Q4) Live Aid (but it was in 1985)

Q5) Will Smith
Good luck with the new toothpaste and sorry about the job. I hadn't heard that about the Alec Baldwin T-shirt, but I'm not surprised. I've read that he is retiring from acting, at least for a while. I don't blame him. (His wife is Spanish, although I didn't realise until now).
Stay safe.

Edith said...

1. 1683
2. Pennsylvania
3. Cheese
4. Live Aid
5. Will Smith

Turning down the loud music is a good idea.

Freda said...

1 1682
2 Pennsylvnia
3 Cheese
4 Live Aid
5 Will Smith

Debbi said...

I'm a bit concerned given your remark about rebuilding iMovie! :)

1. 1682
2. Pennsylvania
3. cheese (generally known in these parts as a Philly cheesesteak)
4. Live Aid
5. Will Smith (the Fresh Prince of Bel Air) :)

The good news is that my Jammie Dodgers are in transit! Yay! :)