Friday, 31 December 2021

Doctor Who — The Evil of the Daleks: Episode 4 — A Review

31st December, 2021.



Right … 

You can possibly tell I’m a single, unemployed, chap: with little in the way of money.

So … ?   I’m at home for New Year’s Eve.

Not that I’m too worried.

It is, after all, a Friday.

Which means that — once I’ve had dinner? — I’ll be watching Episode Four of Evil of the Daleks: and telling you about it, later tonight!

~≈§≈~

Right … that’s dinner officially done: fish and chips, so you know.

And … ?   Frankly,  I still don’t know why we’re supposed to have fish And chips on A Friday … but there you go!

At any rate … ?

Let me tell you about tonight’s episode of Evil of the Daleks … 

~≈§≈~


Episode 4 follows last week’s episode: showing us Jamie (Frazer Hines) facing the formidable Kemel (Sonny Caldinez), who’s blocking a very strategic doorway.

The pair fight: until — in a desperate move — Jamie tricks Kemel into walking off of Maxtible Mansion’s roof.

Jamie can’t bear being responsible for Kemel’s death: so let’s a rope down, and helps his opponent back in to the mansion.

Unbeknownst to the pair?

The room that Kemel is guarding — one that had been used to house Victoria, the young woman Jamie had been trying to rescue — is empty: containing only her handkerchief.

AND an axe: set to swing out of a wall when the door is opened.

Jamie is saved from being a victim of that axe: as Kemel pushes him out of the way.

It’s only then the pair develop a friendship … while the Doctor (Patrick Troughton) monitors Jamie remotely: explaining every thing to the Dalek that — in turn — is monitoring him.

The Dalek wants to know the reason for every thing.

Meanwhile … ?

Maxtible and Waterfield (Marius Goring and John Bailey) have found the body on near the basement: and have to get rid of it.

Which prompts differing reactions in the two men.

Waterfield — concerned for his daughter, Victoria — is having qualms of conscience.

Maxtible, by contrast?

Maxtible is happily prepared to kill his human partner … and has plans to deal with the Daleks, as well … 

With all the plotting and scheming being done?

It’s left to Jamie and Kemel to free Victoria from the room she’s being held in … little knowing what’s waiting for them … 

~≈§≈~

Now … 

What did I make of episode four … ?

First things first … ?

As with earlier episodes, the detailing is great.

Up close, the Daleks in this episode are incredible pieces of work: far improved on the ones in the earlier The Power of The Daleks.


The grill-work on the neck of the Dalek is, to me, quite riveting.

As riveting as the eye: the movement of the screws, synced perfectly to the expanding/contracting iris.

As riveting as their overall movement.

Talking of which … ?   There’s one point in the episode — at the sixteen minute, thirty-two seconds mark — where the Dalek pushes Maxtible over.


That’s new to me: at least, not something I can remember seeing in any other Dalek story!

The story, itself … ?

Is another good one: and that’s focused more on moving the plot forward with action rather than words.

As far as I’m concerned … ?   That’s a refreshing change … 

And a change that’s got me looking forward to episode five.

I’ll be watching that, next Friday: 7th January, 2022.

I’ll have my video and written reviews up, not long after: I’d love it if you joined me!

Before then … ?   I’ll be watching Eve of The Daleks, tomorrow night.

I wonder what I’ll be doing after that … ?

I’ll let you know, midnight, tomorrow.




Episode 4.
★★★★




No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.