Sunday 26 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 26-12-2021: Boxing Day.

26th December, 2021.


Right … it’s officially the case that my nephew, Jude?   Has had his main birthday, already.

Not something I thought was necessarily a good idea: but a new — ish! — phone seems to have gone down well.

And been gratefully received.

Now all we need to do … ?

Is top the dratted thing up!

~≈☎️≈~

I’ve got to admit, I’ve started reading a book called On the Other Hand: by Howard I Kushner.

It’s about left handedness: something I’m interested in, as I’m left handed, myself.

I’m also fair convinced that left handers face prejudices: I can remember seeing Reggie Yates — in Africa for a TV documentary — being berated by a tribal chief for using his left hand for something.

I’ve also had the odd comment.

Reading the preface to On the Other Hand, though, I read this: “… that toleration of left-handedness serves as a barometer of wider cultural toleration and permissiveness.”


Personally … ?

I think I can agree with that.

~≈☎️≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Debbi† and Mum‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.


 Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        In the UK, 26th December is Boxing Day.   It’s a public holiday, in the UK.   Unless the day falls on a what: weekend, Monday or Tuesday?

Q2)        26th December is also Saint Stephen’s Day.   The Saint is a what martyr: red, white or blue?

Q3)        The Boxing Day Test Match is held on 26th December.   It’s a big match.   In which sport: Aussie rules football, cricket or rugby union?

Q4)        In many parts of the world, the Boxing Day Sales have declined.   For many, the sales have been replaced by what: Black Friday, Blue Monday or Green Cheese? 

Q5)        Finally … ?   26th December is Boxing Day in the UK.   It’s Hunt the Wren Day, where: the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man or Jersey?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        25th December is Christmas Day.   It marks the birth of Jesus: in Bethlehem, in what’s now the West Bank.   The town was in which Roman province, at the time of Jesus’s birth: Judea, Moesia or Germania Antiqua?
A1)        Judea.

Q2)        Bethlehem’s name means ‘house of’ what, in Hebrew: bread, milk or cheese?
A2)        House of bread.

Q3)        The Nativity story is told in two of the four Gospels.   Name one of the two.
A3)        Matthew or Luke.

Q4)        In the UK, many of us will be eating what, on Christmas Day: chicken, turkey or goose?
A4)        Turkey.   (Goose was more common, up until the reign of Queen Victoria.   From the little I know?   Chicken is popular in Japan, at Christmas.   I also seem to recall my aunty Bella was fond of goose at Christmas.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   1843, saw Sir Henry Cole produce the earliest Christmas whats: cards, crackers or decorations?
A5)        Cards.
Here’s a quote … 
“Boxing Day is a holiday celebrated the day after Christmas Day, occurring on the second day of Christmastide.”
From the Wikipedia entry on Boxing Day.
And some music …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        That’s an interesting read, that, Olga: although it misses out Lashana Lynch.   I think it was published before No Time was released.
        I hope Christmas went well: and that the meal goes ahead.   My sister, Anna, was saying masks have re-introduce, over there.
        Thomas Hardy, or Tom Hardy?   :D   I don’t know that I’d be convinced by Tom Hardy: he’s just a little bit too common, I think.   Saying that … ?   He does make a convincing Ricki Tarr, in Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.   I DO know I first came across him in Star Trek: Nemesis, and thinking he’d make a very good Riff-Raff.



†        :D   My pleasure, Debbi, ANY time … !   (It’s seriously worth the effort.)


        Hello, Mum!

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Weekend

Q2) Red

Q3) Rugby union

Q4) Black Friday (Here, in Catalonia, it is a public holiday and the shops are not open, but we don’t have an extra holiday next week if it is on a Sunday, and the same goes for Christmas...)

Q5) The Isle of Man
Yes, Tom Hardy, sorry. Well, although he cleans up well, I always thought Daniel Craig does look a bit rough compared to some of the previous James Bonds. But other articles also mentioned some very out-there suggestions (Daniel Radcliffe, anyone?)
So far, we're set to go. Let's see. Fingers crossed! And yes, they've reintroduced compulsory mask outside, although they'd never removed it from indoors anyway. I carried on wearing them nonetheless. Here, in Barcelona, you are bound to meet a lot of people wherever you do, so the safety distance is not easy to keep at the best of times. Better safe than sorry, even if it is less likely outdoors.

Freda said...

1 Weekend
2 White
3 A.ussie rules football
4 Black Friday
5 lisle of Man

Debbi said...

Quick. Let me get this in before we go out for coffee! :)

1. a weekend
2. red
3. cricket
4. Black Friday
5. the Isle of Man

Nice to know American imperialism is hard at work there. :) LOL! Ack!

I'm causing an international incident, eh? :) Ah, me.