Monday 27 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 27th December, 2021.

27th December, 2021.


Yep: it’s official a bank holiday.   At least: today and tomorrow are.

Not that it makes much difference to me, personally … but I know buses won’t necessarily be running.

And some shops won’t be open.

Which could be awkward.

We need to get a Swipe card, to put money on Jude’s new phone … 

~≈∑≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, Olga on four and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        England’s worst avalanche took place: on 27th December, 1836.   In which English county: West Sussex, East Sussex or South Yorkshire?

Q2)        27th December is Saint Fabiola’s Day.   She’s the patron saint to whom: widows, weavers or glaziers?

Q3)        27th December is also the feast day of Saint John the Apostle.   He’s also known as Saint John the what: beloved, behaving or beholden … ?

Q4)        The largest known cave shaft on Earth — the Cave of Swallows —was first explored on 27th December, 1966.   The Cave’s in which country: Mexico, Argentina or Brazil?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Marlene Dietrich was born: on 27th December, 1901.   In which 1930 film does she play Lola Lola?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        In the UK, 26th December is Boxing Day.   It’s a public holiday, in the UK.   Unless the day falls on a what: weekend, Monday or Tuesday?
A1)        Weekend.   (Most will still mark the day as Boxing Day.   But the public holiday will shift to Monday: or Tuesday, if Christmas is also on the weekend.)

Q2)        26th December is also Saint Stephen’s Day.   The Saint is a what martyr: red, white or blue?
A2)        Red: it means he died a violent death.   (White martyrs died from ‘condition of martyrdom through strict asceticism,’ blue martyrs from ‘the denial of desires, as through fasting and penitent labours without necessarily implying a journey or complete withdrawal from life.’   There’s wet and dry martyrs, as well.   I think the less said, the better.)

Q3)        The Boxing Day Test Match is held on 26th December.   It’s a big match. In which sport: Aussie rules football, cricket or rugby union?
A3)        Cricket.

Q4)        In many parts of the world, the Boxing Day Sales have declined.   For many, the sales have been replaced by what: Black Friday, Blue Monday or Green Cheese?
A4)          Black Friday.

Q5)        Finally … ?   26th December is Boxing Day in the UK.   It’s Hunt the Wren Day, where: the Isle of Wight, the Isle of Man or Jersey?
A5)        The Isle of Man.
Here’s a thought …
“… the legs aren’t so beautiful. I just know what to do with them.”
Marlene Dietrich, 27 December 1901 – 6 May 1992.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Daniel Radcliffe?   I hope not, Olga: although he would know how to act against green screen, if needed.   Daniel Craig being rough, on the other hand … ?   Possibly worked for the role.   After all, Bond’s supposed to be a cultured, well trained, thug.   (I think Fleming based his version of MI6 on the Special Operations Executive, the wartime group.   If I remember the stuff I’ve heard about the two services?   MI6 found enemy bridges.   The SOE blew enemy bridges up.)
        (Oh, sorry about the score: the actual answer was ‘Cricket.’   England played Australia, yesterday: and are losing badly.)

        Hello, Mum!

        I wouldn’t worry, Debbi.   You can’t cause an incident as bad as the 45th President’s!   (Remind me to show you Spitting Image’s version of Trump … )

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) East Sussex. (I had never heard of that and I had lived very near Lewes for a couple of years while studying my PhD at Sussex, in a place called Rodmell. I’m sure I’ve mentioned it before. Virginia Woolf lived there before her death).

Q2) Widows

Q3) The beloved

Q4) Mexico

Q5) The Blue Angel
I thought I had a book about Ian Fleming and James Bond, but I can't find it. I wonder if it was one of the books I had requested but with Brexit never reached me. Well, we shall see.
And don't worry about the score. I was in a bit of a hurry as we had to take the train to go and meet my cousin, and when I checked, I found a long list of sports played on Boxing Day, and for some reason when I clicked on Rugby there was a long article about it. To be honest, I've never quite understood cricket or rugby (well, I think I understand the rules of rugby a bit better, but nothing of cricket at all), but I am more curious about rugby, because my maternal grandmother's two brothers (Josep and Conrado) -the ones who escaped from Spain after the Civil War and ended up fighting in the French resistance- used to play rugby.
I hope you get done what you need. Here it isn't a holiday today, although this week, to the best of my knowledge, there are no standard radio programmes this week (although they will be preparing other events, but I'm not sure if they'll need me or not), and I won't be teaching any English lessons this week or the next (at least that's what I think).

Freda said...

1 East Sussex
2 Widows
3 Belived
4 Swallows
5 Blue Angel

Debbi said...

Oh, goodness, I'm not even close to that awful! :)

1. East Sussex
2. widows
3. beloved
4. Mexico
5. The Blue Angel (originally titled: Der blaue Engel)