Tuesday 14 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 14-12-2021: Would You Like To Fly … ?

14th December, 2021.


Hmmm … 

I think I have a rat problem.   An on-going rat problem.

At least, going by the half eaten apples I’ve found.

To the point I’ve had to contact me landlord, about it.   Again.

As far as I can tell, no-one else in the building is having a problem, this time around: which normally means Clarion would refuse to do anything.

They take the view that if a pest is only affecting my flat, it’s something I have to deal with.

If it’s something affect the communal areas?   They’ll send out a pest controller.

I’ve managed to persuade them the worker they sent out, last time, hadn’t blocked the holes the rats were getting in through.

Hopefully, that shouldn’t take two many visits.

~≈Ê≈~

You notice I say ‘only affecting my flat’ … ?

Under Clarion’s own rules, if the rat is just in my flat, it’s something I’d have to deal with, myself.

Knowing that?   I emailed Essex Country Council, to see if they could send anyone out.

They told me to check with Brentwood Council.

Something it seems at least one neighbour had already tried.

It turns out Brentwood Council no longer have a pest control unit.

What you’re supposed to do if you’re on a low income, and can’t afford a professional rat catcher, or afford the fine for having pests on your property?

Brentwood Council doesn’t say.

Any suggestions … ?   Would be welcome.

~≈Ê≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The Montgolfier brothers made their first test flight, on 14th December of which year: 1780, 1781 or 1782?

Q2)        True or false.   Their flight was in a hot air balloon.   True or false?

Q3)        The brothers, their craft and their flight, were in which European country: France, Belgium or San Marino?

Q4)        They used a mixture of what as fuel: wool and hay, petrol and gas, or milk and alcohol?

Q5)        Finally … ?        The pair’s first public demonstration was in which year: 1782, 1783 or 1784?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        13th December is the National Day of Saint Lucia.   The island is in which Sea: the Caribbean, the Sargasso or Mediterranean?
A1)        The Caribbean.

Q2)        English is Saint Lucia’s official language.   Its vernacular language is Saint Lucian what: Creole, Pidgin or Sign Language?
A2)        Creole.

Q3)        Saint Lucia is made up of ten districts.   Those districts were originally called what: Quarters, Hundreds or Divisions?
A3)        Quarters.

Q4)        Daren Sammy is from Saint Lucia.   He plays what, internationally: Football, Rugby Union or Cricket?
A4)        Cricket.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Saint Lucia became independent from the UK in which year of the 1970s?
A5)        1979.
Here’s a quote … 
“Joseph-Michel also invented the self-acting hydraulic ram (1796) and Jacques-Étienne founded the first paper-making vocational school.   Together, the brothers invented a process to manufacture transparent paper.”
From the Wikipedia article about the brothers.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.






*        Getting hold of one of Ben’s owl might JUST be the way to go, Olga.   Or, at least, getting hold of owl guano!   Some of that might just scare the visitors! 
        At any rate?   I’ll keep my fingers crossed: that the appeal goes ahead!   (I’m always iffy about appeals for health charities, or veterans services.   Most of them do a great job: but I always think they’re doing the government’s job.)

        Hello, Mum!

        Hang on, the bottom of the foot, Debbiªº?   They obviously do dentistry differently in the States!


ª        I don’t know who the chap in the zoot suit is, Debbi: but that’s one serious hat … 


º        One last thing, Debbi?   Radio Four’s just played a trailer for this piece, Starship Titanic.   It started life as a computer game by Douglas Adams, adapted into a novel by Terry Jones, and turned into a drama with Michael Palin.   You MIGHT want to see if it’s on BBC Sounds … 

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 1782
2 true
3 France
4 Wool & Hay
5 1783

Olga said...

Q1) 1782

Q2) True, I guess, although it was the balloon that was flying alone...

Q3) France

Q4) Wool and hay

Q5) 1783
Funnily enough, I’m reading a book, at the moment, called Balloonomania Belles, about the history of women in balloons, and there were quite a few. It seems ballooning became quite a rage everywhere and there were dresses and hats and everything-in-between balloon-like.
La Marató de TV3 (it's organised by the Catalan TV public channel) has been going for 30 years, so fingers crossed.
Yes, the owl guano sounds good as well.

Debbi said...

I'll have to check that out!

The shots in my feet are for dystonia, not my teeth! :)

1. 1782
2. True
3. France
4. wool and hay
5. 1783

Actually, they've stopped those shots and come in from the top now. Thank God!

I knew somehow you'd pick the Fifth Dimension's song. :)