Friday 10 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 10-12-2021 — The Abdication

10th December, 2021.


Hmmm … 

That seemed to have helped.

I’ve had issues with the clock on my Mac.

Usually?   And for the past few years?

I’ve had the clock set to announce the time at regular intervals.

Something it stopped doing … after I installed Monterey, the most recent version of macOS.

So I called Apple Support.

Twice.

Which didn’t help.

The third time … ?

They suggested an old trick.

Resetting what’s call the PRAM, (perimeter RAM) or NVRAM, non-volatile RAM: a section of RAM that stores long term settings, roughly equivalent to the CMOS part of a PC’s motherboard.

Something I’d forgotten about, as the last time I’d used it was on a twenty-something G4 Powermac: and something I find fiddly, with my hands.

You have to press P, R, ⌘ and ⌥, on startup, so you know.

At any rate?

That seems to have solved the issue.

For now.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on three.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        10th December saw Edward 8th sign the instrument of Abdication as King of where: the UK, Great Britain or Southern Ireland?

Q2)        He also abdicated as Emperor of where: China, India or Greece?

Q3)        He signed the Instrument on 10th December of which year of the 1930s?

Q4)        He abdicated because he wanted to marry whom: Wallis Simpson, Marge Simpson or Bart Simpson?

Q5)        Finally … ?   Edward 8th was replaced on the throne, by his brother, Albert.   Albert took the throne as what: George 4th, Henry 5th or George 6th?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Douglas Engelbart held the Mother of all Demos: on 9th December, 1960. In which US city: San Francisco, Los Angeles or Seattle?
A1)        San Francisco.

Q2)        It demonstrated what was called the oN-Line-System. In other words, a prototype version of a modern what: computer, mobile phone or car?
A2)        A modern computer.

Q3)        The Demo also introduce what was then called screen windowing, but is now called a GUI, a Graphical User … what?
A3)        Interface.

Q4)        The Demo introduced Hypertext. Hypertext contains what: hyperspace, hyperlinks or hyper frogs?
A4)        Hyperlinks.   (A hyper frog is entirely theoretical.   I made it up, in other words.)

Q5)        Finally … ? The Demo was funded — in part — by ARPA. ARPA was an agency of which US body: NASA, the FBI, or the Department of Defense?
A5)        The Department of Defense.   ARPA stands for Advanced Research Projects Agency.   The agency’s NOW called DARPA: the Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency.   So you know.
Here’s an observation … 
“After the war, Edward spent the rest of his life in France.”
From the Wikipedia article on Edward 8th.
And here’s Edward’s Abdication Speech …


We know Edward was abandoning the post he’d been trained to do from birth, and was extremely sympathetic to the Nazis: to the point where his abdication was the best thing to happen to the UK, given the war started only a few years, later.   That’s still a powerful speech.

Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Bloody HELL!   That renter will be turning up on my doorstep, next, Olga!   I’ll keep my fingers crossed the new caller’s in Barcelona!
        But yeah: it’s a shame.   You should hear where some of the home working jobs expect me to go, to do training!   One of them mentioned Grimsby … !   (Fours weeks, stuck in Grimsby?   I’ll pass …)
            And it sounds like Debbi’s hit pay dirt: and won’t need the surgery!

        Hello, Mum!

        It’s a pain, isn’t Debbi?   The amount of potential jobs I’ve had to turn down because I can’t get there is stupid!
        Oh … Olga said “… good luck with the root canal surgery.”   That’s possibly an excuse for a song …
again … !

3 comments:

Freda said...

1 UK,
2 India
3 1936
4 Wallis Simpso
5 George 6th.

Olga said...

Q1) The UK

Q2) India

Q3) 1936

Q4) Wallis Simpson

Q5) George 6th
Great news about Debbi, not so good about the car park. (Yes, they were from Barcelona and lived nearby, but the car was too big for the space. The problem is they make cars bigger and bigger, and older buildings, even the ones with a dedicated car park, didn't make the spaces big enough. And they were even smaller years back. I remember my father used to park the car at one of my uncle's parking spaces [one of my uncles who lived in England at the time and only went to Barcelona in the summer], and it was an extremely tight fit, and we never had big cars, so one wonders...)
I did some training because I thought it would help me obtain the qualification I needed (in the end, I managed to get all the training, but they had changed the requirements for that qualification and it was of no use), and it was at Rampton Hospital. The training took a week, and although I wasn't going to be working there full time (only one day a week for a few months), I still had to do it all, stay at a B&B nearby, and pay for it all myself (I wasn't getting paid anything for that job, but they considered it part of my training allowance at my regular job, so it wasn't that bad. I know many companies now insist on people working sometimes up to a week's trial period and don't pay them).
I agree with you on King Edward (notwithstanding my opinion about royals in general). Oh, and good news about the fix, although I can see how it would be fiddly unless you were Mr Fantastic.

Debbi said...

No worries! I'm sure it'll all be fine! :)

Thanks, Olga and, you as well, Paul.

1. the UK
2. India
3. 1936
4. Wallis Simpson
5. George 6th

Reminds me of the movie The King's Speech. An excellent movie, that one.