Thursday 30 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 30-12-2021: Ra-Ra-Rasputin … !

30th December, 2021.


It’s officially official: I’m getting my feet checked, this afternoon.

I’m diabetic, so you know: which means the NHS will be checking my circulation, every year.

This afternoon’s … ?   Is a couple of months early: and will hopefully clear up a mild concern I have.

Hopefully?

It’ll go well … 

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.


Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        30th December saw the death of Grigori Rasputin.   In which year?

Q2)        In which (then) Empire: Russia, China or Rome?

Q3)        That country’s ruler, Nicholas 2nd, had what title: Kaiser, Tsar or King?

Q4)        Rasputin was apparently able to ease Nicholas 2nd’s son’s medical condition.   Which medical condition: HIV/AIDS, haemophilia or schizophrenia?

Q5)        Finally … ?   His killers threw Rasputin’s body off of the Bolshoi Petrovsky Bridge: into the Malaya Nevka River.   The bridge is in which city: Moscow, Saint Petersburg or Yekaterinburg?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Republic of Texas was annexed: on 29th December, 1845.   By whom: the USA, Mexico or Spain?
A1)        The USA.

Q2)        In the Roman Catholic Church, 29th December is a Feast day of whom: King David, King Solomon or King Nebuchadnezzar?
A2)        King David.

Q3)        Actor Mikhi Phifer was born: on 29th December, 1974.   He played Gunner in which 2016 film?
A3)        Pandemic.

Q4)        29th December, 1808 saw the birth of the 17th President of the USA.   Who was that president: Abraham Lincoln, Andrew Johnson or Ulysses S. Grant?
A4)        Andrew Johnson.

Q5)        Finally … ?   Charles Macintosh was born on 29th December, 1766.   He’s best remembered as the inventor of a type of waterproof what: boot, fabric or rubber?
A5)        Fabric.
Here’s a thought … 
“… if it was your relations who have wrought my death then no one of your family, that is to say, none of your children or relations will remain alive for more than two years.”
From a letter from Rasputin, to Queen Alexandria.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

As a final note?   Some sources will give the date of Rasputin’s death as 17th December.   This latter date is the equivalent to the 30th December: in the older, Julian, calendar.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        I know exactly what you mean, Olga!   I started well, and finished badly.   I think Jude’s mother — my sister, Ruth — did well.   As did Jude friend, Jaskaran: he was crowing all evening!
        I’ve got to admit, though, my neck’s not having issues: four pillows helps.   My should and elbow, on the other hand … ?   Ouch.   Thankfully, it’s my right arm: but you’d possibly be surprised how often you use your off hand.
        It’s good to learn, certainly.   I just wish whoever’s editing the US state articles would include a bit more about cuisine: we’ll have to see if we can persuade Debbi to add something to the Maryland article!

        Hello, Mum!

        Cheers, Debbi: although I don’t have his education!   Or speak Latin … !



4 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) 1916

Q2) Russia

Q3) Tsar

Q4) Haemophilia

Q5) St. Petersburg
I hope today's appointment goes well and there is nothing to worry about after the checkup. I am due for the third dose of my vaccine tomorrow. It is midmorning, but it is at one of the huge vaccine centres, so there are always long queues (even with the appointments), and although it goes quite quickly, it's anybody's guess how long it might take. I hope I'll be able to join the teaser anyway, either before or after. Fingers crossed!
Oh, you're right about how little we realise how much we use certain parts of the body. I broke the tip of the fourth finger of my right hand and discovered that taking even taking handwritten notes became far more complicated.

Freda said...

1 1916
2 Russia
3 Tsar
4 Heamophilla
5 St Petersberg

Freda said...

Happy New Year all the quizzers

Debbi said...

The only Latin I know is mostly from law school. :)

1. 1916
2. Russia
3. Tsar
4. haemophelia
5. Saint Petersburg