Wednesday 15 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 15th December, 2021.

15th December, 2021.


Right: I’m vaguely rushed.

I’ve got my exercises to do, my landlady — or, at least, my landlord’s estate officer — popping in at ten thirty.

I’ve got a phone meeting with my Job Centre case worker at twelve.

And my ’flu jab at five to three.

Vaguely might not cover it.

~≈§≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with everyone scoring five out of five.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        According to Wolfram Alpha, sunrise on 15th December, 2021, is at 07:59 GMT.   GMT is Greenwich what Time?

Q2)        Nero Claudius Caesar Augustus Germanicus was born on 15th December, 37AD.   He was better known as which Roman Emperor: Caligula, Nero or Augustus?

Q3)        Sprinter, Harold Abrahams, was born on 15th December, 1899.   He won the 100m Gold in which year’s Summer Olympics: 1920’s, 1924’s or 1928’s?

Q4)        Reactor №3 at Chernobyl Nuclear Power Station was shut down: on 15th December, 2000.   Station, and reactor, are in which former Soviet republic: Georgia, Ukraine or Belarus?

Q5)        Scientist, Freeman Dyson, was born on 15th December, 1923.   His Dyson Tree was a theoretical plant.   One genetically engineered to grow on what: a comet, Mars or the Moon?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Montgolfier brothers made their first test flight, on 14th December of which year: 1780, 1781 or 1782?
A1)        1782.

Q2)        True or false.   Their flight was in a hot air balloon.
A2)        True.

Q3)        The brothers, their craft and their flight, were in which European country: France, Belgium or San Marino?
A3)        France.

Q4)        They used a mixture of what as fuel: wool and hay, petrol and gas, or milk and alcohol?
A4)        Wool and hay.   (I don’t think anyone had petrol back then.   Milk and alcohol doesn’t burn: but can be sung about.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   The pair’s first public demonstration was in which year: 1782, 1783 or 1784
A5)        1783.
Here’s a thought … 
“The biggest breakthrough in the next 50 years will be the discovery of extraterrestrial life.”
Freeman Dyson, 15 December 1923 – 28 February 2020.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.



*        Hello, Mum!

        We’ll have to see if I can get some, Olga!   Here’s hoping!   And I think there was a recent film about ballooning, recently.   
        Yes, got it: The Aeronauts!   Felicity Jones was in it, that’s why it stuck in my mind!
        Oh, talking of Spanish TV … ?   I may have a source for series four … 


        So, hang on, Debbi … treatments for a patient whose dystonia affected her arm … went into her foot … ?   The word ‘counterintuitive,’ springs to mind!
        Yes, the song seemed appropriate … !

4 comments:

Unknown said...

1. Greenwich MEAN Time. Why can't it just be Greenwich Kind Time?
2. Nero. Did you know the Finnish word "nero" means genius? Don't ask me about the etymology, I haven't the foggiest...
3. 1924. But surely he didn't use a chariot to win...?
4. Ukraine. Was going to say Belarus, but thought better of it...
5. A comet. Why wouldn't it work inside a planet as well...? I remember reading the point is to produce oxygen, so surely...

Just so you know: I'm Nina, I'm logged in again, it'll be interesting to see if I'm recognised...

Olga said...

Q1) Mean

Q2) Nero

Q3) 1924’s

Q4) Ukraine

Q5) A comet
I will check the Argonauts. And, good luck with series 4!
And I hope everything goes to plan today. Fingers crossed!

Freda said...

1 Greenwich Mean Time
2 Nero
3 1924
4 Ukraine
5 Comet

Debbi said...

The dystonia affects both limbs on the left side. Thus the need to treat my leg and foot. It was caused by a stroke that left its mark. :)

1. Mean
2. Nero
3. 1924
4. Ukraine
5. a comet