Friday 17 December 2021

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 17-12-2021: The Saturnalia

17th December, 2021.


Yes: today’s a Friday … and I’m off to weigh loss meeting, this afternoon.

I’m always nervous about these things: have I or haven’t I, lost any weight?

I hope it’s the latter.

Walking all that way has to count for something … !

~≈¥≈~

In amongst all the news?   Including by-election wins, Omicron going everywhere, and LOTS of other stuff?

I noticed there’d been a house fire in Sutton: in which four children died.

The cause is now ‘under investigation.’

I hope so.

I’d like to know what’s killed four children under five.

And if I do … ?   

I’d imagine the parents would, too!

~≈¥≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Olga*, Mum†, and Debbi‡ putting in their answers: with Olga and Debbi scoring five out of five, and Mum on four.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video … 

Q1)        The first Saturnalia was held on 17th December, 497 BC.   In which Ancient city: Rome, Byzantium or Damascus?

Q2)        The Festival was held in honour of which god: Jupiter, Saturn or Ceres?

Q3)        One event in the Saturnalia, was held outside that god’s Temple.   That temple was in part of the city called the what: the Forum, the Campus Martius or the Circus Maximus?

Q4)        What was that event: a public banquet, a gladiatorial fight or a trial?

Q5)        Finally … ?   The Sigillaria was part of the Saturnalia.   It was a day of what: feasting, gift giving or public singing?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        The Match of the Century was played between Wales and New Zealand: on 16th December, 1905. In what sport was that match: football, Rugby Union or field hockey?
A1)        Rugby Union.

Q2)        Leopold 1st was born on 16th December, 1790.   He was the first King of which European country: the Netherlands, Luxembourg or Belgium?
A2)        Belgium.

Q3)        Which TV show debuted on 16th December, 1951: The Bold and the Beautiful, Dragnet or CSI: Miami?
A3)        Dragnet.   (Names of historical figures have been changed: to protect the innocent.   Their job?   To protect the innocent and preserve the safety of decent citizens.   I’m here all week …)

Q4)        René Redzepi was born on 16th December, 1977.   He’s a Danish what: singer, chef or bricklayer?
A4)        Chef.

Q5)        Finally … ?   16th December, 1431, saw Henry 6th of England crowned as king of where: France, Germany or Spain?
A5)        France.
Here’s a thought … 
“A common custom was the election of a "King of the Saturnalia", who would give orders to people, which were to be followed and preside over the merrymaking.”
From the Wikipedia entry on the Saturnalia.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

The quizmaster’s decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        I THINK we can say Nina’s coming around to the show, Olga.   I got a LOT of questions about a certain Tercio.   Oh, and a certain incident in Baler!
        You have to love Harryhausen’s stop motion work.   It’s just a shame CGI, and motion capture, is cheaper.   I do know the technique got used on on at least one Dr Who story, Terror of the Zygons: the show owes Harry a thank you, I think!   I think he reused the owl: in the original Clash of the Titans.


        Hello, Mum!

        Well … it’s on Radio 4 at three, on Sunday, Debbi: here.   You MIGHT want to see if it’s on BBC Sounds, as well.   And a remake of the Douglas Adams penned game is on Steam: at least in the UK.

3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) Rome

Q2) Saturn

Q3) The Forum

Q4) A public banquet

Q5) Gift giving (if the explanation I found is correct, Sigillaria is both, the last day of Saturnalia, and the little pottery or wax gifts given that day).
Yes, I also think it's a shame about how much craftmanship has been killed by CGI, although I guess there is some workmanship involved as well... Thanks for the clip! Yes, it's true. Such a cute and funny mechanical owl... Suddenly I've remembered the owl in the original Blade Runner, which I imagine was supposed to be a replicant owl?
I hope they clarify what has happened to the children. Good luck with the clinic visit today!

Freda said...

1 Rome
2 Saturn
3 Forum
4 Public Banquet
5 Gift giving

Debbi said...

Wow! Cool! I'm pretty sure I can access Palin's show on BBC Sound. I'll try to remember to check it out.

1. Rome
2. Saturn
3. the Forum
4. a public banquet
5. gift giving