Monday 22 April 2024

Nik Nak’s Daily Teaser — 22nd April, 2024.

22nd April, 2024.


Right … Monday mornings … 

Which means an old song is earworming its way through my head … 


But you’d possibly guessed that.

You’ve also possibly guessed I’m off to my weight management class, again.

I hate having to go up that hill.

But … ?

At least it’s exercise.

~≈◊≈~

Let’s move on, shall we?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Mum*, Olga† and Debbi‡putting in their answers: with Debbi scoring five out of five, Olga on four and Mum on two.


 Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we?

Here they are, along with the How To, License and video.

Q1)        22nd April, 1977, saw the first live telephone signals sent.   By what: copper wires, fibre optic cables or telepathy?

Q2)        22nd April is the feast day of Saint Soter.   He’d held what is now which post: Pope, Holy Roman Emperor or Tsar?

Q3)        22nd April is also the feast day of Saint Caius.   He’d held what is now which post: Pope, Holy Roman Emperor or Tsar?

Q4)        Arwald is commemorated on 22nd April.   He’s generally considered the last pagan king of where: the Isle of Mann, the Isle of Wight or Guernsey?

Q5)        Finally … ?   22nd April, 1915, the Second Battle of Ypres saw the first use of what in combat: the tank, chlorine gas or the machine gun?
Here’s yesterday’s questions and answers … 

Q1)        Which former Soviet republic voted for independence on 21st April, 1991: Armenia, Belarus or Estonia?
A1)        Armenia.

Q2)        Up until independence, the country had been a what: a US state, a union republic or a special administrative region?
A2)        A union republic.

Q3)        21st April is Kartini Day.   Where: East Timor, Indonesia or Laos?
A3)        Indonesia.

Q4)        21st April is National Tea Day in the UK.   The tea commonly drunk in the UK is what: black tea, green tea or white tea?
A4)        Black tea.   (The different colours refer to how much oxidation the leaves have undergone: rather than whether milk’s been added.)

Q5)        Finally … ?   21st April is the traditional feast day of Saint Beuno.   He’s the patron saint of diseased what: cattle, sheep or pigs?
A5)        Diseased cattle.   (Anybody got a sick cow?)
Here’s a thought …
“It’s been so long since I made love, I can’t even remember who gets tied up.”
Bettie Page, April 22, 1923 – December 11, 2008.
And a song …


Today’s questions will be answered in tomorrow’s Teaser.

Decisions about scores are final.

Thank you for coming: have a good day.




*        Hello, Mum!

        Well … I based the question on the link I’ve given in the answer, Olga: although I think I could have worded it differently.
        In my defence, Olga?   There’s a ten day gap between David Beckham and Strontium Dog!
        And yes, tractors are the other ones!   (My family lived over the road from a local farm.   Their tractors usually weren’t an issue.   But you could tell when they were muck spreading!)

‡        Ouch in general, Debbi, or is that an anticipatory ouch?
        Oh, I caught another episode of Criminal Record, last night.   Cush Jumbo is great as the main character: but Peter Capaldi is superb!
        (Oh, and I’ve found an old compilation of the Sandwich Quiz, on YouTube: it won’t make much sense … but Sylvester McCoy’s in there, somewhere!)


3 comments:

Olga said...

Q1) fibre optic cables

Q2) Pope

Q3) Pope

Q4) the Isle of Wight

Q5) chlorine gas
Well, I followed the link to the answer and it says Armenia had its independence referendum on the 21st of September, so I'm not surprised I got confused, as it does not mention the 21st of April (I checked the three countries and the date didn't figure for any of them, at least not in the usual places). Well, in any case...
Talking about tractors, there were some pluses. I had a farm behind my house in Penistone (they had horses and sometimes exercised them right behind my garden, which was nice to see), and I lived almost at the top of a small hill. It was a cul-de-sac and the road was quite narrow, especially with cars parked on both sides, so the snowplows couldn't come up, but when it snowed, sometimes the farmer would be kind enough to come and remove the snow. Honestly, that hill could be a death trap. I usually would leave my car at the bottom, on the bigger street across, rather than risk trying to go up and down the hill or get the car stuck there and not be able to go to work the next morning. I had cars of neighbours who lived on the house at the top drop their cars in front of my house as they couldn't reach any further.
Good luck with the weight loss session today.

Mum said...

1 Fibre optic
2 Pope
3 Pope
4 I o W
5 Tank

Debbi said...

I can't resist Sylvester McCoy. He's my second-favorite Doctor (of the Old School Who) after Tom B. :)

1. fibre optic cables
2. Pope
3. Pope
4. the Isle of Wight
5. chlorine gas