Thursday 23 April 2009

Day Watch








Day Watch” …

Well, there’s an interesting sequel …

And one that isn’t so creative with the subtitles as the original.

Mind you, I’ve just sat myself down with Brentwood library’s copy, which explains the differences; the version of “Night Watch” I had was one I’d had sitting on my exterior drive, and finally got round to watching, recently and makes innovative use of subtitles; the ones on this version of “Day Watch” are fairly vanilla in comparison.

Which is disappointing, but a lot more naturalistic feeling than the English dubbing available as an option on this particular DVD.   Which is very strange, as these things always are …

But, at any rate, “Day Watch” follows on a year after the events of the first film, and shows us Anton seeking out the Chalk of Fate owned by Tamerlane; Anton wishes to restore his son to the forces of light.

This is only a comparatively small part of the story, though; the bulk of it is — of course — the escalation of the cold war between the Day Watch an Night Watch.

Part of that is the framing of Anton for the murder of a member of the Night Watch.

He does carry a lot of plot, our Anton, doesn’t he … ?

It’s still quite an exciting to watch film, though, one that picks up where its predecessor finishes, adding to, and expanding upon, the background universe.   Well worth watching, despite the lack of arty subtitles.   And I can’t believe Alicia did that to a Toyota!   I can’t!   Have a look at the clip, it’s at the bottom of this post.

I want to know how the hell they set that up … !

I also know it leaves a few loose ends for the potential sequel; what exactly happpens to the Chalk of Fate, for starters.

I’ll leave that there, I think; but I will urge you to check this pair of films out.   The visuals are quite a bit better than “Screamers”, and it has a very substantial plot to it …




Cast.

Actor
Character
Konstantin Khabensk
Anton
Mariya Poroshina
Svetlana
Vladimir Menshov
Gesser
Galina Tyunina
Olga
Viktor Verzhbitsky
Zavulon
Zhanna Friske
Alisa
Dmitry Martynov 
Yegor
Aleksei Chadov 
Kostya
Valeri Zolotukhin
Kostya's Father
Nurzhuman Ikhtymbayev
Zoar
Aleksei Maklakov
Semyon
Aleksandr Samojlenko
Bear
Gosha Kutsenko
Ignat
Irina Yakovleva
Galina Rogova
Yegor Dronov
Tolik

I’ve also picked up news that lawyers for The Pirate Bay are planning to appeal for a retrial, today.   I’m not sure whether this is good news or bad.

I’ll be honest, I’d be lying if I said I’d never been tempted to use their services*.    After all, free music and film is tempting.   But, having meet a lot of working musicians, I do know they, like all of us, like getting paid.

In this day and age, the The Pirate Bay’s organiser’s gaoling is a story that’s going to run and run.

And cause ethical discussion in every pub in the country.





* Saying that, when I’ve got the money, I far prefer using the iTunes Store; it’s a lot easier to use than the torrent sites I’ve seen.

No comments: