Wednesday 8 April 2009

The NIMBY’S Are Revolting!

Well, bit of a thing; I was so pleased about getting a letter released in the Gazette today, I didn’t read much further.

It seems that the Swan Paddock Residents Association are planning to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman.

About the cinema.

I don’t believe it!!!

Just when everyone thought the dust had settled, a small bunch of NIMBY’s want to try and dictate the social lives and job prospects of the rest of us.

I’m ticked off.

To say the least.

By a residents association of a street in Brentwood, that I can’t evan find on Google Maps.

So, here’s what I’m going to do.

I’ve already sent an email about this to advice@lgo.org.uk, and use the email I sent as a template to try and forestall this.

But, Dear Lord!!!!

At any rate, here’s the text I use, and would suggest you use, as well.   But feel free to put your own name and address in.

To whom it may concern,

I am writing in regards to plans for a development to include shops, flats, and a six screen cinema in the William Hunter Way in Brentwood, Essex, recently approved by Brentwood Council.

This has been something of a controversy in my home town, about this.

While I realise there may have been irregularities in the approval, when brought before Hazel Blears MP, the Minister for Local Government and Communities, she did not call it in for appeal.

I feel that this should settle the matter.

However, I do know a small and vocal minority of my fellow residents are planning to complain about the council’s behaviour.

I’m someone who supports the planned development, and feel it will bring much needed jobs, homes, and entertainment to our town, and feel that a small minority should not dictate to a majority.

As such, I would like to ask what the Local Government Ombudsman will be doing, should the complaint from the Swan Paddock Residents Association come to your attention.

Yours, in anticipation, 


Paul Downie

I’ve also fired off another letter about this, to the Gazette, by the way; here …

Dear Gazette

I’ve got to confess that I mildly shocked.   I got today’s Gazette and was so pleased to see my last letter published, I didn’t read much further, until I got home.

So you can imagine my shock and annoyance in readin the letter from Phil Mynott of the Swan Paddock Residents Association, informing all and sundry that they were planning to complain to the Local Government Ombudsman. 

About the cinema.

I couldn’t believe it!!!

Just when everyone thought the dust had settled, a small vocal minority want to try and dictate the social lives and job prospects of the rest of us.

I’m ticked off, to put it mildly.  If, for no other reason than annoyance that a small group are being seemingly more highhanded than a democratically elected local authority.

A residents association of a street that can’t be found on Google Maps.

I would urge those of my fellow residents who support the development to contact advice@lgo.org.uk and ask the office of the Local Government Ombudsman, ask what they intend to do, point out that Hazel Blears MP refused to call it in, and how we can speak in the favour of the plans.

I have, as ever, posted this to to my blog, and urge you to use the template I’ve included there, to contact the Ombudsman.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

We are just standing up for what is right and protecting our quality of life against an unjust decision made by a currupt council who ignored public opinion and thier own enviromental, traffic and planning rules, to name but a few, just so they can line thier own pockets, trust me they are not building this out of place and scale lump of sh*t to benifit your entertainment or job prospects, seeing as they know full well once built the place will be a failure and an eyesore. As for being a small number of nimbys, the swan paddock assosiation has the dirrect support of many hundreds of people and with very little effort has collected more than a few thousand petition signitures, most of which are not from people who will be any where near the thing, they just know and can see that a development on this scale and in this place is very wrong and the council are wrong for supporting the destruction of the lives of residents they are meant to reprisent and serve. I'm sorry but your want for a little light entertainment and slight chance for what would end up being short term work, comes at way too high a price for me or anybody i know to stop fighting this unjust disgrace.
p.s. I dont think of the term 'NIMBY' as an insult, who knows better whats good for thier area than the people that live there? certainly not a councilor who lives 100 miles away and a scottish/australian developer he's in bed with, thats for sure.

Nik Nak said...

So, hang on, justice?

Someone hiding behind Blogspot’s Anonymous options, whilst making inflammatory statements that could be misinterpreted as libel, is obviously concerned with justice.

I’m as concerned about free speech as any, but …

But those of us with-out the money to carry on an extended campaign against the development need those jobs; you call them short term, but I, and others like me, have and do, rely on them. And have for many years.

Now I live in Rollason Way; five minutes walk from the high street - it’s what used to be the old NV Tools Factory, behind what’s now Murphy’s Sports Bar. I can find no mention of Swan Paddock on Google Maps. Or on a map of Brentwood. And I’ve lived here since the age of three; some 38 years. So I’m assuming it’s not necessarily in town.

Additionally, my real name is Paul Downie.

Before you accuse me of hiding behind a screen name.

Nik Nak said...

Just so you know, here’s the Google Maps image of my road

http://maps.google.com/maps?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Rollason%20Way%20%2B%20Brentwood&oe=UTF-8&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wl

I’ve no wish to hide.

If you wish to publicise what you say, neither would you.

Nik Nak said...

And, just as a final thought, I don’t know if you read my letter in this weeks Gazette, but I personally don}t see the term NIMBY as an insult, either.

I happily see it as a description; especially when there’s drug dealers at the end of my street.