Saturday 6 June 2009

The Belgariad


Well, now THAT’S annoyed me!

Ever since I heard, yesterday, about the death of author David Eddings, I got to thinking I should re-read his “Belgariad” series; the covers of which are pictured.

I came across this set, around the same time I first started reading both Julian May, and Terry Pratchett.

And while I think that Terry, Pratchett is the better writer, and that Julian May makes better use of celtic mythology, I do know that David Eddings has a place.

NOBODY did light and frothy fantasy much better.

I’m also thinking a comparison to “Star Wars” is fairly appropriate.

Both “The Belgariad” and “Star Wars” are coming of age drama’s, with an innocent farmboy finding he has mystical powers, inherits a magical sword, and advised by a wizard.

And chased around by a villain in black.

Luke Skywalker never had to deal with Torak, the scarred God of Angarak, though.

What I’m trying to say, here, is that neither is stunning original, and both draw on pretty much the same sort of archetypes.

I also think that Eddings managed to do dialogue a lot better than George Lucas did with “Star Wars Episode 4: A New Hope”.

Now I’m no literary or movie critic.

But I do know that, in amongst the darker stuff I’ve read or watched, it’s nice to have a good ol’ fashioned romp!

THAT’S why misplacing these five books is annoying.

They are serious fun escapism …

No comments: