Saturday 13 June 2009

The Rollason Way Parking Saga

I knew it, I KNEW it!!


I’ve just had my next door neighbour, Dave, round.


With a petition, would you believe?


Originally kick-started by Conservative councillor, Joan Holmes, I should add. And aimed at getting our road formally adopted by Brentwood Council. As you can tell from the attached photos, Crest Nicholson, who are responsible for the roads, aren’t exactly good at filling in potholes, or moving barriers.


Which — if I’ve understood things correctly — would’ve got done if everyone had voted for Option Five, in the first place!


Oh well!


I’m also surprised that our local Liberal councillor, Karen Chilvers, hasn’t mentioned this to anyone; she’s usually quite good at this sort of thing.


Granted the team of Councillor’s Holmes and Sheehan are trying, bless ’em, and Councillor Chilvers hasn’t done badly, either, but …


I also know that Sara Bartleman hasn’t got back to me with the actual figures from the recent vote on which parking scheme to adopt, yet.


I’d still like to see those.


3 comments:

Nik Nak said...

And, just as a follow up point, I’ve had Movie Night Adrian text me.

He lives at the other end of the street from me, and instantly leapt on the fact that the wheel clamping scheme that’s been voted for, is basically a privately run parking scheme.

And as such, he wasn’t sure if it could be run on a public road; which is what Rollason Way would become, if adopted by the council.

That’s a nasty turn of thought, there.

And I think I’d appreciate seeing people comment here about that.

Cllr Karen Chilvers said...

Hi Paul

Your local Liberal councillor here! The reason I haven't told anyone is because I haven't been informed myself! I found out on your blog (first with the news....are you Sky News in disguise?)

I'm afraid that I haven't received any notification of the results from Circle Anglia, despite asking for an update on a number of occasions. However, it's right that they tell residents as quick as they know.

With regards to adopting the roads, this is planned to happen as soon as the road is ready to be adopted. Clearly not just yet - the building continues! By all means sign a petition, but I'm not sure that will get the drains, lighting etc get sorted out much sooner. Obviously, if there are unreasonable delays, that's the time to adopt more and more pressure on the developers.

With regard to the clamping, as far as I am aware this only applies to the private parking area and not, what will be, council adopted roads. If you remember, the suggestion is that parking restrictions can be put in once the road is adopted which will be something like "no parking for one hour" to prevent commuter parking, but allow parking for residents and visitors (albeit you may have to pop out for an hour!). I explained more here: http://karenchilvers.mycouncillor.org.uk/2009/04/16/rollason-way-meeting-report/

Rollason Way residents should feel free to contact me at any time: 07927 404 827 or karen.chilvers@brentwood-ongarlibdems.org.uk.

Nik Nak said...

Cheers, Karen! I had pretty much the same info from both Adrian, and Lynn, too more of the neighbours, today.

As to the results; we’ve been told that Option Four’s the one that’s been picked, and the implications of it, but Sara’s letter didn’t exactly make the difference clear, although both it, and the FAQ did explain how the scheme would work …

Neither did Dav, bless ’im, but he has just sent an email …