Saturday 12 June 2010

The Daily Teaser …

Hang on, Trevor!

Yes, I know the first game’s on, tonight!

I mean, it’s not like you can miss the trailers, now is it … ?

Kaiju, you’re not planning to go bonkers about the footie, are you … ?

AAARRRGGGHHH!

I’m grouching, aren’t I … ?

I am, aren’t I … ? I’ve got to confess, I’m not a football fan — snooker was more my thing — so the England/USA game that’s on, tonight, is something I’m planning to avoid.

Not that I’m unpatriotic.

I’m just not a fan of football.

Let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw Trevor, Kaiju and Tim going head-to-head: with all scoring 6 out of 6, and Trevor putting in some rather readable football themed quotes.

Let’s see how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we … ? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License

Q1) 12th June, 1381, saw the Kent and Essex contingent’s of the Peasant’s Revolt met at Blackheath: heavy-handed demands for which tax started the Revolt? (Actually, one of the triggering incidents took place in my home town of Brentwood. 629 years later, we have a Conservative MP. Anybody got a pitch-fork … ?)

Q2) 12th June, 1991, saw the Russian Republic elect who, as their president … ?

Q3) 16 years earlier, 12th June, 1975, saw an Indian court find who guilty of Electoral Corruption … ?

Q4) 12th June, 1964, saw the jailing of Nelson Mandela on charges of sabotage: what was the name of the Nationalist movement he was a member of … ?

Q5) 12th June, 1967, saw the launch of the Venera 4 probe: which nation launched the probe?

Q6) And as the final question … where was that probe heading for … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 11th June saw the founding of the committee that drafted the US Declaration of Indendance: which member is generally credited with being one of the US’s first wine growers … ?
A1) Thomas Jefferson.

Q2) 11th June, 1987, saw the political party led by who, win its third term as UK government?
A2) Margaret Thatcher.

Q3) 11th June, 1979, saw the death of film icon, Marion Morrison: how was he better known … ?
A3) John Wayne.

Q4) More to the point name either of the films that actor played Marshal Reuben J. ‘Rooster’ Cogburn.
A4) True Grit or Rooster Cogburn.

Q5) 11th June, 1998, saw the UN declare an official famine in which African country ; ?
A5) The Sudan.

Q6) And finally … That same day, 11th June, 1998, saw the death of which best-selling British author … ?
A6) Catherine Cookson.

Enjoy those, everyone. And, just to avoid looking like a total grouch, Good Luck to England.

No comments: