Sunday, 8 August 2010

The Great Game: Spies, snipers and Psychotics.

You know, I’ve got to admit, I am impressed.

Decidedly impressed.

Definitely … !

You know, I’m very tempted to throw in a “It IS Sunday?” type question.

Except I know for a fact that it’s Sunday.

And that the Apple Dictionary — the one that comes pre-packed with OS X — doesn’t have enough alternatives for the word ‘impressed’.

THAT’S for certain …

‹‹‹•›››

Yes, it’s definitely Sunday.

And as you can imagine, I’ve been watching The Great Game, the third and final part of Sherlock: the Steven Moffat/Mark Gatiss/Sue Vertue 21st century take on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s Sherlock Holmes.

And I’ve got to admit that, while I’m impressed with this episode — a mix of The Bruce Partington Plans and The Final Problem, with references to The Five Orange Pips and A Scandal in Bohemia — isn’t the strongest of the three episodes, so far.

But is doing a lot.

The Great Game sees Holmes given — and rejecting — an offer of a case, by his elder brother Mycroft.

In this case … ?

The apparent murder of a MI6 clerk who seems to have mislaid some very important plans …

This against the background of an unknown bomber challenging our heroes to solve seemingly unimportant cases.

Or see the hostages our unnamed* — ’til the end of the episode — bomber and his hired sniper have taken blown to bits.

Or shot, of course …

‹‹‹•›››

Now, where things get frustrating in The Great Game — frustrating and rivetingly watchable — is the climax to all of this.

Remember I mentioned The Final Problem … ?

The short story that Sir Arthur tries to finally kill off his creation, so he could move on to other things … ?

That sees Holmes — apparently — killed in a final confrontation with arch-rival, Professor Moriarty, in a fight to the death at the Reichenbach Falls … ?

Yeah, that Final Problem … !

I think — think — that’s what Moffat and co have re-created here.

Or tried to, at any rate.

Not to kill off Holmes, not by a long shot!

No, I’m thinking from all I’ve seen, that this initial series of Sherlock is something of a pilot series, if you see what I mean … ?

And that the big cliffhanger of a finish … ?

Is definitely a way of keeping people interested … !







* As you’ve probably guessed, the arch-villain behind all of this … ? Is the updated Professor Moriarty: or Jim Moriarty as he calls himself. And — while I don’t know the name of the actor playing him — the spin he gives to the part — of the psychotic brother of Graeme Norton — is FANTASTIC!! and if that sniper doesn’t end up being a re-worked version of Colonel Sebastian Moran … ? Well …


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love it when people comment. But, having had anonymous comments I feel may be libellous, actionable or just plain offensive, over the years?

I’d appreciate you* leaving your name — with a link to your website or social-media profile†, for preference — before you post a comment.

Should you choose to use a pseudonym/name, I’d appreciate it if that name were to be polite and inoffensive. I’d rather you kept it clean, and relatively adult. Comments left with a pseudonym will be posted at my discretion: I really prefer a link.

Contentious, actionable or abusive posts left anonymously will not be posted. Nor will comments using offensive pseudonyms or language, or that are abusive of other commenters.

If you can also leave you comments on today’s Teaser Video, that would be good.

Thank you.

*   I know many value their online privacy. I respect that. But hope you respect my wish to see who’s commenting on my blog: and my wish for you to introduce your self to me, and to your fellow commentors.

†   Your Facebook, X/Twitter, Blogger, Instagram, TikTok or LinkedIn profile are acceptable: as are Bluesky or Mastodon links. I also like seeing folks webpages.