Saturday 28 August 2010

The Daily Teaser …

Ye gods …

One entirely theoretical question for you: how on earth have I managed to get a full night’s sleep …

And still feel near enough completely knackered, this morning … ?

Oy veh … !

At any rate, let’s get moving on, shall we … ?

Yes, lets: before I get too distracted by the episode of Battlefield Britain that Yesterday are showing.

It’s the one that covers the Battle of Hasting, so you know, Trevor …

AAArrrggghhh!

Let’s get seriously moving, shall we … ?

Yesterday’s Teaser saw both Trevor and Birthday girl, AlexandraFunFit putting in their answers: with Trevor scoring 5 out of 7, and Alexandra bagging …

Well, 3, as I’m feeling kind … !

*Peck Alexandra’s cheek*

Save me some of that cake, Alexandra … !

Actually, considering how tired I feel … ? I could do with the sugar rush … !

Given all of that lot, let’s see how how everyone does with today’s questions, shall we? Here they are, along with the ‘How To’ and License

Q1) 28th August, 1917, saw ten suffragettes arrested whilst picketing which iconic US building … ?


Q2) 28th August, 1961, saw which US record company release what was to become its first No. 1: which record company … ?

Q3) More to the point, what was the song … ?

Q4) Equally to the point, who was that versionby … ?

Q5) 28th August, 1917, saw the birth of comic book artist, Jack Kirby: which comic book character did he co create — in 1941 — with writer, Joe Simon … ?

Q6) 28th August, 1940, saw the birth of musician, Nik Turner: which British band is he a founder member … ?


Q7) And finally … 28th August, 1930, saw the birth of Welsh actor, Windsor Davies, best known for his role in It Ain’t Half Hot, Mum: what was the name of his character … ?

And here’s yesterday’s questions and answers …

Q1) 27th August, 1987, saw David Owen — leader of the Social Democratic Party — replaced by whom … ?

A1) Robert Maclennan, MP.

Q2) More to the point, how is that former MP now known … ?

Q3) August 27th, 1975, aw the death of which religious icon … ?
A3) Emperor Haile Salassie 1st.

Q4) 27th August, 1970, saw the birth of one-time Snooker world champion, Peter Ebdon: in which year did he win the World Championship … ?
A4) 2002.

Q5) Who did he beat in the final … ?
A5) Stephen Hendry: it was an 18-17 win for Ebdon.

Q6) 27th August, 1971, saw an attempted coup fail in which African nation … ?

A6) Chad.

Q7) And finally … 27th August, 1991, saw the European Community recognise the independence of all three of the formerly Soviet Baltic states: name any one of those states.
A7) Estonia, Latvia and Lithuania.

Enjoy those, everyone: I’ll catch you later … !

‹‹‹◊›››

Oh, just as a final point, for Alexandra’s benefit: here’s the Wikipedia entry about Snooker, along with some footage of Peter Ebdon*, doing his thing.

Which is obviously nothing to do with New Jersey …










* Ebdon’s notorious, I should add: he’s possibly the one person most likely to play seriously strange psychological games, whilst cueing …

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Q1 White House
Q2 Motown
Q3 Please Mr. Postman
Q4 The Marvelettes
Q5 Captain America
Q6 Hawkwind
Q7 Battery Sergeant Major Williams

Trevor

"Childhood is measured out by sounds and smells and sights, before the dark hour of reason grows."

"I don't think I am any good. If I thought I was any good, I wouldn't be."

"Now if the harvest is over, And the world cold, Give me the bonus of laughter, As I lose hold."

"Silver and ermine and red faces full of port wine."

“People's backyards are much more interesting than their front gardens, and houses that back on to railways are public benefactors.”

“Too many people in the modern world view poetry as a luxury, not a necessity like petrol. But to me it's the oil of life.”

Quotes by John Betjeman born August 28 1906

Kaiju said...

1. White House
2. Motown
3. Please Mr. Postman
4. Marvelettes
5. Captain America
6. Hawkwind
7. Battery Sergeant-Major 'Shut Up' Williams

Happy Belated Birthday Alexandrafunfit, who shares the natal day with my Dad...who was nearly overlooked, as well. (Bad offspring!) Bottom line, it means August 27th is a Very Good Day!

In the words of Stevie Wonder:
Happy Birthday to ya!
Happy Biiiirthday.
Happy Birthday to ya!
Happy Biiiirthday!

Nik Nak said...

You know, that gives me an excuse to put this up …

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FchMuPQOBwA

AlexandraFunFit said...

I think those 3 points from yesterday only counted as 1 for those other players who may have used Google. Just sayin'
1. United Nations. Gee, maybe the Playboy mansion. Is it iconic? And from 1917? Hmm, maybe the italics mean something. Statue of Liberty?
2.Motown I think. Good ol' Barry Gordy saw a good thing with those "girl" groups.
3. Mr. Postman? My mind is stuck on all the birthday presents/cards I got so I'm thinking of the postal service.
4. Oh, crumb. The Marvelettes? Maybe the Chordettes. Wait, they were white chicks, weren't they? So I'll stick with my 1st choice.
5. I'll say Superman cuz I have no idea, but I'd like one for my belated birthday. I have Regular Man.
6. So, some 70 year old guy and I'm supposed to know this? And they're always British and obscure (to my house). Hmmm. Nik Cave?
7. Oedipus! Ahhahaaaa. I love myself.

PS You should start paying me to play your game because I make it so much fun!